Turn on thread page Beta

Work experience questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a few questions for anyone who would answer:

1. If a hospital is unavailable, which looks best on my CV? WE at Dentist, Vet(which i would find most fun), or opticians?
    2. College breaks are only 1-2 weeks long, how do i find enough time to have a proper work experience?

Thanks.
    Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielIvtsan)
    Just a few questions for anyone who would answer:

1. If a hospital is unavailable, which looks best on my CV? WE at Dentist, Vet(which i would find most fun), or opticians? Dan
    what about a GPs, and if you find vet more fun than medicine you may want to think about why your applyin to med

2. College breaks are only 1-2 weeks long, how do i find enough time to have a proper work experience?

Thanks.
    Dan
    2 weeks is long enough for one placement so use a couple of your holidays

ReputationRep:
    If you do work experience at Vets/Dentists, the admissions tutors may doubt your commitment.

Ring up GPs, voluntary work at Hospitals/Elderly Care Homes/Childrens clubs, anything which puts you in contact with the public.
    If its a question of no spaces left for work experience this year, then write in your personal statement that you will be doing work experience later in the year, just make sure you then arrange it!

Its not about how long you did work experience for, its what you learnt. I did 5 days work experience and in that time i felt i learnt so much, and i have since applied to volunteer at that same hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillyvicky)
    what about a GPs, and if you find vet more fun than medicine you may want to think about why your applyin to med

2 weeks is long enough for one placement so use a couple of your holidays
    You misunderstand me, i mean if i can't find a hospital placement, then would a vet be helpful for my application to medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, the OP was asking what looked better, vet or optician...I would say optician because it contains more interaction with people rather than animals.
    You need to display a commitment to care and an understanding of what being a doctor entails (how you are supposed to understand after making tea for 6 months is questionable but hey) from your work experience. Try to get some more medically related WE but stick with the opticians now, somethings better than nothing.

Its not about how long you did work experience for
    I would say this is incorrect as well, demonstrating a commitment to care would need a certain length of time in your work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I would say this is incorrect as well, demonstrating a commitment to care would need a certain length of time in your work experience.
    I agree that you should have a long term commitment, such as volunteering, but i think work experience doesn't needs to have a 'set' time scale.

ReputationRep:
    I still think dentists would sit better than vets. In addition, to say that it shows a doubt of commitment is nonsense, they want you to explore other avenues so you don't go running off after first year, and dentistry is still interaction with patients in a clinical setting, no?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys, but i have another question. There are MANY small GP offices in my area...

1. Would a work experience here be useful?
    2. What would i be doing at a GP work experience?

Thanks
    Dan

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys, but i have another question. There are MANY small GP offices in my area...

1. Would a work experience here be useful?
    Dan
    yes defiantly I found my GP work experience alot more useful than the hospital based stuff as the GPs where i am were alot less rushed and were more likely to explain the medical problems after the patient had left i also got to see plenty of minor surgeries such as having moles removed.

2. What would i be doing at a GP work experience?

Thanks
    Dan
    This is a very small amount of the diary i kept when i was there so it just includes the main things that i did.

Day one

Morning

on reception marking patients as in the waiting room on the computer

Afternoon

sat on consultations with the GP

Day two

Morning

More sitting on consultations

Afternoon

Helping put all the boxs in a different order in the dispensary

Day three

With the nurse all day sat in on consultations with her then at a mother and baby clinic.

Day four

Sat in on consultations with the doctor then with a med student who was their on placement from my first choice uni so asked loads of questions.

Day five

Travel clinic and then went to the out reach clinic both with the GP.

Other stuff

Went back the next week to sit in on consultation at the mother and baby clinic but with the doctor instead of the nurse.

Most days I got to watch some of the minor surgery stuff as well

ReputationRep:
    You were very lucky, I might add.

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon

you were lucky! last week at work exp i didnt get a chance to sit in the GP consultations with all the confidentiality stuff, though as an alternative i sat in the ones with the nurses :p:

ah well maybe i'll get a chance in the next 3 weeks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillyvicky)
    yes defiantly I found my GP work experience alot more useful than the hospital based stuff as the GPs where i am were alot less rushed and were more likely to explain the medical problems after the patient had left i also got to see plenty of minor surgeries such as having moles removed.

This is a very small amount of the diary i kept when i was there so it just includes the main things that i did.

Day one

Morning

on reception marking patients as in the waiting room on the computer

Afternoon

Day two

Morning

More sitting on consultations

Afternoon

Helping put all the boxs in a different order in the dispensary

Day three

With the nurse all day sat in on consultations with her then at a mother and baby clinic.

Day four

Sat in on consultations with the doctor then with a med student who was their on placement from my first choice uni so asked loads of questions.

Day five

Travel clinic and then went to the out reach clinic both with the GP.

Other stuff

Went back the next week to sit in on consultation at the mother and baby clinic but with the doctor instead of the nurse.

Most days I got to watch some of the minor surgery stuff as well
    This is what i would do at a small GP!?

ReputationRep:
    That what i did at mine it was a 3 doctor practise but the population they cover is rather large just spread out over a very large area of little tiny villages

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your GP surgery. If it is a small GP surgery I doubt there will be any minor surgery "stuff" there, but the rest sounds reasonable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Depends on your GP surgery. If it is a small GP surgery I doubt there will be any minor surgery "stuff" there, but the rest sounds reasonable
    Strange the GP i was with said the reason they did it was because with it being an isolated area it would have been harder for the patients to commute to larger practises.

To the OP ask what you will be doing before you start if any of the GPs offer to take you on

ReputationRep:
    No, usually not. Confidentiality issues.

ReputationRep:
    Today I was told that you had to be 18 to be in with the GP consultations...no idea why

ReputationRep:
    working at a reception would be fine, it gives you understanding of the way GP works.

btw is it problem if i couldn't get voluntary work because of my age (everywhere i asked needed to be 17+ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geared)
    working at a reception would be fine, it gives you understanding of the way GP works.

btw is it problem if i couldn't get voluntary work because of my age (everywhere i asked needed to be 17+ )
    I do volunteering at the local care home for the elderly and i am 16-i didn't have a problem getting in there just a police check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geared)

I think it really must depend on the place- I started doing voluntary work in my local elderly care home when I was 14 with no CRB or even ID check and was often left alone with patients in their rooms! Still I think a lot of places may have become stricter since then as that was 7 years ago. Maybe ring around and you'll find somewhere more lenient.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 31, 2007

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.