Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, ive got 2 places lined up,

Portsmouth (Firm = 240 points),
    Hertfordshire (Insurance = 200 points).

I really wanna go to Portsmouth though. If i only get 220 points come results day, does that mean i have to accept the Hertfordshire offer, and cannot go through clearing to get into Portsmouth?

ReputationRep:
    phone the uni on the day...and see if they will accept you...they probably will

ReputationRep:
    So im not obliged to take the Hertfordshire place? Even though i have the grades to get in?

ReputationRep:
    not if you phone portsmouth on results day and they offer you place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dittoo)
    Right, ive got 2 places lined up,

Portsmouth (Firm = 240 points),
    Hertfordshire (Insurance = 200 points).

I really wanna go to Portsmouth though. If i only get 220 points come results day, does that mean i have to accept the Hertfordshire offer, and cannot go through clearing to get into Portsmouth?
    If you miss your offer for Portsmouth, they have to decide whether or not to take you with what you have got - and they could offer you an alternative course, which you can turn down if you want. If you do turn down the alternative, and you are accepted by Hertfordshire, then you have to go there unless you withdraw from UCAS for this year, or the uni releases you (which it is unlikely to do quickly). Only if both your unis turn you down for your original course choices, or release you, can you go in to Clearing. If you are sure that you don't want to go to Hertfordshire whatever happens, negotiate your release now, don't wait until results day.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I can call Portsmouth to try and get a place, but its not called clearing?

Clearings like a last resort?

ReputationRep:
    Clearing only comes in if your firm refuses to reduce their offer and you also fail to meet your insurance. OR if you negotiate a release from your insurance beforehand (ie now) and miss your firm.

ReputationRep:
    Unis get results on the Sunday before results day, so they've usually decided whether or not to let you in if you've missed your offer by then. If you only miss it by 20 points, I'd say there was a very good chance of Portsmouth accepting you anyway, especially if the course goes into Clearing. Clearing applicants are unlikely to have good grades most of the time and unis would much rather take someone who had them as firm but missed their offer because at least they know they really want to go there. If they didn't let you in, it's probably unlikely they'd accept you through Clearing either. It's only if Portsmouth reject you and you Hertfordshire accept you that you're obliged to go to Hertforshire, unless they agree to release you into Clearing. They probably will because they don't want a student who doesn't want to be there and might drop out when they could give the place to someone else who actually wants it, but it won't be their priority and they might drag their feet about it because they're very busy on results day. You won't be able to apply anywhere through Clearing until Hertfordshire release you, which might make you miss out on the Clearing place you want because good ones are taken quickly, so if you're sure you definitely don't want to go to Hertfordshire even if Portsmouth won't take you, phone Hertfordshire now and ask them to release you. It'll be much less hassle.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.