Getting An Insurance Offer At This Stage? Watch

thejester
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an insurance offer at this stage? I don't have one you see and I was just wondering if I could get a university to give me an offer whether UCAS would allow it.

Thanks
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thejester)
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an insurance offer at this stage? I don't have one you see and I was just wondering if I could get a university to give me an offer whether UCAS would allow it.

Thanks
no its not possible. if you miss your firm you will go straight into clearing. Its probable any uni that would have given your an insurance offer at this stage if it was possible will enter clearing anyway.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Thanks
As mtbab says, you can't get an insurance offer at this stage, but don't worry about it, it's not unusual for people to just have a firm offer.

If you think there is a possibility that you won't meet your offer for your firm, and/or that if you don't meet your offer the uni will turn you down, it might be worth doing some homework before Results Day. As in: check which unis still had places in Extra (you can still find this on UCAS - it's not 100% but will give you some idea) for the course/s you want to do, as these are quite likely to have places in Clearing. Find the unis with standard entry requirements around the grades you are expecting. Next, look at the course descriptions on the uni websites to make sure they suit you, and take off your list any you definitely wouldn't find interesting. Then, when Results Day comes round you will be able, if you need to, to check very quickly on the UCAS lists which of the courses you picked out are in Clearing and be ready to call knowing something about the course you are enquiring about.

Of course, if you find that in fact your firm choice was in Extra this improves the chances of them taking you even if you do miss by a grade or even two - unis will nearly always prefer take someone who chose them as a firm rather than a random bod through Clearing. And just because a course was available in Extra does not mean it's a mickey mouse course at a rubbish uni.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kw2005)
As mtbab says, you can't get an insurance offer at this stage, but don't worry about it, it's not unusual for people to just have a firm offer.

If you think there is a possibility that you won't meet your offer for your firm, and/or that if you don't meet your offer the uni will turn you down, it might be worth doing some homework before Results Day. As in: check which unis still had places in Extra (you can still find this on UCAS - it's not 100% but will give you some idea) for the course/s you want to do, as these are quite likely to have places in Clearing. Find the unis with standard entry requirements around the grades you are expecting. Next, look at the course descriptions on the uni websites to make sure they suit you, and take off your list any you definitely wouldn't find interesting. Then, when Results Day comes round you will be able, if you need to, to check very quickly on the UCAS lists which of the courses you picked out are in Clearing and be ready to call knowing something about the course you are enquiring about.

Of course, if you find that in fact your firm choice was in Extra this improves the chances of them taking you even if you do miss by a grade or even two - unis will nearly always prefer take someone who chose them as a firm rather than a random bod through Clearing. And just because a course was available in Extra does not mean it's a mickey mouse course at a rubbish uni.
:ditto: Excellent advice there
thejester
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by kw2005)

Thanks for replying that really was some excellent advice. My firm choice wasn't in extra and is never in clearing so i'm just hoping I get the results I need. I think i'm just getting nervous now that results day is looming! Thanks again.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for replying that really was some excellent advice. My firm choice wasn't in extra and is never in clearing so i'm just hoping I get the results I need. I think i'm just getting nervous now that results day is looming! Thanks again.
Even so, missing a grade may not be a disaster - depends on the course. So stay positive and hope for the best!
Student2006
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Amazingly Neuroscience at Kings was in Extra this year..... *gasps*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise