Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone started buying stuff for uni yet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bought a single thing yet. I'm not too worried.

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    I ordered a computer monitor tomorrow. So that I don't have to carry my CRT on the train every time I visit home. Anything else will wait until I have unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    I bought my laptop today on account of the fact i got paid yesterday. next pay day is when i'm gonna buy all my stationery and clothes and blah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    I'm going shopping to get some clothes today though, aaaaah! I hate shopping!!
    My kinda girl, lol. :p:

And OT; I haven't personally bought anything yet, but my mum and nan have bought a few things like tea towels, duvet covers, pans, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have everything I need already. I might get some more clothes in the mid season sale, but other than that I'm all done.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got anything yet:p: However I did see a starter pan set thing somewhere which I should have when I saw it, i'll probably start looking round more now seeing as it's not that long to go.:p:

ReputationRep:
    i have practically everything, bed stuff (except for sheets, anybody know where you can buy bright pink/fuchsia sheets , not Ikea, im from Ireland, we dont get Ikea til Dec 07) also have posters and decorative stuff like fairy lights, floormats, photo frames, beanbags, throws, decorative pillows, candles etc, have to buy a bedside cabinet still& a tv, have all my kitchen stuff bar a few utensils, and have to get a few bits for the bathroom, so in total, about 5 things to buy! cannot WAIT, have been working full time this yr so ive literally been counting down the days!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    That's why you should go catered :p:
    Catered is for girls! Real men cook for themselves! :p:
    Why do you care, you abandoned me in this hellhole called Aberdeen Uni all by myself :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hate shopping to, i am waiting till results just incase. but it can't be that difficult i'm sure. Oh i bought a camera, i'm saying thats for uni, makes it sound better.

ReputationRep:
    My nan has bought most of my stuff so far, she just picks up bits and pieces when shes out so i have quite a bit of stuff already but theres still somethings i need and probably don't need but will buy anyway lol. Ill probably buy clothes nearer the time though

ReputationRep:
    I got out my plates/dishes etc and wrapped them all up the other night, and realised that all I've got for uni is:

~Plates
    ~Cutlery
    ~A blender
    ~A jug
    ~A teapot
    ~A bag of wholewheat pasta
    ~Some oats.

I should get myself ready! Haha, I don't want to have a last minute rush! I went unconditional last August and all of a sudden, September has crept up on me.

Actually, thinking about it, I've already got towels and duvets anyway. I just don't want to go unprepared at all.

ReputationRep:
    I've bought a laptop, alarm clock (I really needed a new one that doesn't wake up everyone else also), a suitcase, a few posters and some clothes. I'm going to buy all bedding and cooking utensilt etc after I've arrived...

ReputationRep:
    Why are you bvuying bedding and kitchen utensils? Or a TV for that matter? I am expecting all that to be in my room when I arrive.

I live a long way away from Uxberidge and I will be travelling there on the Tube. Do they really expect me to carry a TV with me? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am going to buy a digital camcorder, a laptop, and an XBox360 when I get my next pay pacquet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    Why are you bvuying bedding and kitchen utensils? Or a TV for that matter? I am expecting all that to be in my room when I arrive.

I live a long way away from Uxberidge and I will be travelling there on the Tube. Do they really expect me to carry a TV with me? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am going to buy a digital camcorder, a laptop, and an XBox360 when I get my next pay pacquet.
    You expect the university to provide everyone with TVs? Haha.

I still can't decide if you're a troll or just...weird. If the latter, you're going to have a shock when you get to university.

And yes, you'll have to buy your own utensils at some point. Chances are the uni will not provide you with quilts and pillowcases, although you can often buy them through the uni (probably cheaper to buy from a normal shop though, and they'll look nicer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)

wow you are going to be sorely disappointed when you get to your uni room aren't you!

they don't provide you with bedding - and you may want to get a matress topper as well, you don't want to think has gone on in that bed the years previous to you sleeping there. you can buy bedding from the union shop but they will be milking the fact that if you are having to buy it there means you have little choice and will want to sleep that night so they'll charge you an arm and a leg for it (it;ll be cheap feeling stuff as well)

haha considering you have to buy your own tv licence these days do you really think you' get given a tv!

admittedly some halls give you basic utensils, but we're talking a knife,fork and spoon, ou are gonna need plates, pots, pans, cooking utensils tupperware etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    wow you are going to be sorely disappointed when you get to your uni room aren't you!

they don't provide you with bedding - and you may want to get a matress topper as well, you don't want to think has gone on in that bed the years previous to you sleeping there. you can buy bedding from the union shop but they will be milking the fact that if you are having to buy it there means you have little choice and will want to sleep that night so they'll charge you an arm and a leg for it (it;ll be cheap feeling stuff as well)

haha considering you have to buy your own tv licence these days do you really think you' get given a tv!

admittedly some halls give you basic utensils, but we're talking a knife,fork and spoon, ou are gonna need plates, pots, pans, cooking utensils tupperware etc etc
    My college at Durham provides everyone with bedding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazznaz)
    My college at Durham provides everyone with bedding.
    i'd still wanna bring my own - its either gonna be previously used stuff or really cheap stuff, like nhs stuff, ok for a couple of nights but not for a year lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoisLane88)
    i have practically everything, bed stuff (except for sheets, anybody know where you can buy bright pink/fuchsia sheets ,
    argos

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether to buy pans, plates, cutlery etc. before uni or whilst I'm there, as it seems stupid everyone bringing stuff, surely it would be easier for everyone to just split the cost of buying them?

It just seems a waste of money to buy all my own pans if everyone else turns up with some too.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.