Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New STEM undergraduates - Which of Chemistry and Physics did you find harder at A2? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which one did you find harder to study/understand at A2?
    Physics
    50.00%
    Chemistry
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    Would like to know as i'm undecided on which one to do as a third A2 subject. Deffo keeping Maths and Further Maths tho. I got CD in Physics and Chemistry respectively (despite finding the Chemistry content easier than the Physics content at AS; thank God they're linear).

ReputationRep:
    Funny this should come up, as I'm starting Joint honours Chemistry and Physics this September (I also took both at A Level)!

A2 Chemistry needs a lot of memorisation of organic structures and reactions, and also remembering the method to calculate diiferent titrations/electrode potentials.
    If you have a good memory, go with Chemistry.
    From my experience, the A2 assessed practicals (about 10% of the A level?) are easy to get high grades on, so on theor own they could get you to a high D grade.

A2 Maths and Physics go well (though there are some simple logs to do in Chemistry) but I only have AS Maths so I can't say how well, e.g. simple harmonic motion has plenty of trigonometry, equations, and rearranging. If you do lots of background practice questions from old textbooks (I mean 1980s-early 2000s old, like the ones by Jim Breithaupt and Muncaster), you could turn the C to a B - it's worth the effort Those questions are harder than the past papers but they prepare you well.

Don't forget to account for the degree you're aiming for and your future career - which subject is more essential?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.