The Student Room Group

Three year A-Level program may hurt my chances for Uni? (Non resit)

Hi guys so my sixth form starts thursday and I am in a bit of a dilema, basically I got all A's in gcse except for the three sciences where I got 3C's (extremely embarrassed) and since I want to become a commercial airlines pilot as my career I need to do science. After alot of negotiating I manage to secure a place in Maths, Physics and Geography .

I wanted to do chemistry to go along with these subjects(as chemistry and physics open up alot of doors for uni) but they said my GCSE's mean that I cannot. Therefore they propose this 3 year A-Level plan where I do Maths, Physics, Geography (and something like business or computing) then at the end of the first year I drop the 4th choice and take chemistry therefore by the end of the second year I have chem and (comp or business) at AS and maths,phys,geo at A2 meaning to get A-level in chemistry I do another year (3rd or yr14) where I can also finish off the AS in(computing or business std) whilst also picking up another new AS such as Fmaths or Biology.

All in all I will have 5A-levels and 1AS (If I pass them all) I would like to do one of the Sciences at a russell group uni in the future, this is my dream.

My question is: is this a good idea? Will universities accept this type of route? Is it a waste of time(since I Will be 19 when I finish) ? Will it be awkward with all my generation going off to uni and me staying back?

I am really in need of help and a reply as college starts soon and I am really confused where I am at this point in life.

Thanks, D
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest