Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the British Council in Malaysia and my career counsellor told me that it costs about $100/£100. Is this case true for international test takers since the website says that it's free of cost? Plus, this much money just for shipping seems kind of a lot. I would really love to be able to get some input on this since I'm not sure if this is exactly true.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That cost you've been given is probably an administrative fee for you to sit the exam with an invigilator and have it sent, etc.
    The university doesn't charge you for taking the test but your educational institute can because they have to arrange it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get that but in the British Council where I live, they are charging for both registration and administration, coming up to over 100 pounds, which is kind of a lot, especially for an exam which is supposedly meant to be free (esp. for registration). It's not that I can't afford it, it's just quite a lot, especially because the SATs were cheaper than this :|

(Original post by TheDesertStudies)
    That cost you've been given is probably an administrative fee for you to sit the exam with an invigilator and have it sent, etc.
    The university doesn't charge you for taking the test but your educational institute can because they have to arrange it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunniee)
    Hi, the British Council in Malaysia and my career counsellor told me that it costs about $100/£100. Is this case true for international test takers since the website says that it's free of cost? Plus, this much money just for shipping seems kind of a lot. I would really love to be able to get some input on this since I'm not sure if this is exactly true.

Thanks
    Why don't you ring British Council directly and ask them if you have to pay and how much? Straight from the horse's mouth. If they do say you have to pay, I'm afraid there's no getting around it, unless you can find another test centre.

Also, I hate to say this, but as an international, unless you get a scholarship, you're going to be paying way, way more than that in fees alone, let alone including living expenses and airfare. 100 quid is nothing in the grand scheme of things. SATs isn't significantly cheaper either - for Malaysia, you're looking at USD 98 - 105.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the TSA in Germany and I pay 75 euros which is approx. 60 pounds I suppose?
    They said it's the normal price in international centres

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.