Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice please on applying for a NHS job of Maternity Care Assistant ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 24 , have never been employed . Due to my mental health difficulties , low mood, find everything hard etc , easily offended

However I have always wanted to work in a hospital, on the medical side . This sounds like such an amazing job, I don't want to miss the oppertiunity , I want to make the best NHS support information I can..but I'm finding it SO hard..help

I'm meant to say I how I meet all the person specifications , eg, good organisation skills, logical reasoning etc..how do I do that ?! I emailed a woman in charge and she said ( after I asked if I should apply if I don't have the essential qualifications , ) she said you are welcome to apply, just make sure you match skills that are transferable *from your ' current role' *

Should I mention depression atall, or would that just ruin my chances ??

Please give some examples !

Thanks**
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Sweatball)
    Hi,

I'm 24 , have never been employed . Due to my mental health difficulties , low mood, find everything hard etc , easily offended

However I have always wanted to work in a hospital, on the medical side . This sounds like such an amazing job, I don't want to miss the oppertiunity , I want to make the best NHS support information I can..but I'm finding it SO hard..help

I'm meant to say I how I meet all the person specifications , eg, good organisation skills, logical reasoning etc..how do I do that ?! I emailed a woman in charge and she said ( after I asked if I should apply if I don't have the essential qualifications , ) she said you are welcome to apply, just make sure you match skills that are transferable *from your ' current role' *

Should I mention depression atall, or would that just ruin my chances ??

Please give some examples !

Thanks**
    It's not clear from your post why you 'can't' say how you meet the person specifications.

Option 1.

Go through the specification and mark up all the verbs they use, eg organised, managed, etc. Then put those verbs at the front of a sentence or bullet point and complete it with an example from your life. So if they ask for organisational skills, you write something like

Organised a fundraising cake bake among neighbours and raised over £150 for a local hospice.

Option 2.

If you don't have any evidence (and think long and hard about it) then you aren't equipped to do this job and you need to start building your evidence base. If you know you want to work in the health sector, then that's good, because there are also lots of volunteering opportunities, so get yourself enrolled as a hospital volunteer or similar.

Your health issues can't compensate for lack of experience, but a lack of experience can have some compensation made for health. In other words, if you haven't been well enough to get experience, then you aren't going to a) be competitive for the job and b) well enough to do the job, so you need to start at a different point and get experience. If you've got experience, but it has been reduced or it is old, because of a health issue, then that can be taken into account to an extent, but employers still need the job doing and you need to be able to do the job. So often, sorting your health out, and using volunteering and temporary roles to get back into the swing of working is a vital step before making competitive job applications.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.