Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my first piece of homework for A2 and I am stuck on a question
    1) Complete and balance the equation for the alkaline hydrolysis of phenyl 2-hydroxybenzoate. Phenyl 2-hydroxybenzoate + OH- = ???. I think an alcohol and carboxylate ion are made. I am guessing phenol is the alcohol but I don't know about the carboxylate ion - the OH- has confused me (I can only find examples of NaOH)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepper*)
    I got my first piece of homework for A2 and I am stuck on a question
    1) Complete and balance the equation for the alkaline hydrolysis of phenyl 2-hydroxybenzoate. Phenyl 2-hydroxybenzoate + OH- = ???. I think an alcohol and carboxylate ion are made. I am guessing phenol is the alcohol but I don't know about the carboxylate ion - the OH- has confused me (I can only find examples of NaOH)
    Have you drawn the molecule? That helps. Phenol is the right alcohol.

The hydroxide ion will come from something like NaOH or KOH, but the metal ion is usually omitted as it doesn't really do anything in this reaction.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.