Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my first post here.

Can someone who studies a 2 years msc in nursing to apply for maintenance loan in order to cover rent and other expenses for a while?

I am aware of the postgraduate loan which is up to 10,000 pounds but is not enough even for the fees.

Also, unis have no information what will happen with funding from nhs but everything points to loans from student finance.

Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I don't know anything post graduate study and nursing, I'm afraid, I've had a quick google and found the following links which may be of some use:
    https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study...-nhs-bursaries
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/fees-an...funded-courses

ReputationRep:
    Rang three unis but they weren't helpful. Too much uncertainty for next year. How is it possible just 10,000 pounds to cover fees like 20,000 pounds plus two years of living expenses since will be a full time student and placements are unpaid? I don't get it. Someone in the same path could please advise me?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios1)
    Rang three unis but they weren't helpful. Too much uncertainty for next year. How is it possible just 10,000 pounds to cover fees like 20,000 pounds plus two years of living expenses since will be a full time student and placements are unpaid? I don't get it. Someone in the same path could please advise me?

The postgraduate loan is just meant to be a contribution towards costs, not cover the full amount.

ReputationRep:
    I guess we have to wait for the update from student finance regarding 17/18 academic year...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone starting before this year had no SF funding available at all. Ask yourself how anyone went on these courses before now and that will be your answer. Usually, nursing/medicine-based Masters degrees are professional development paths. People do them once they have built up a few years of professional experience - and some savings.

As has been said, the new loan is just a contribution towards your costs. It isn't intended to cover all of your fees and living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so to clarify, maintenance loan from SF is only for undergraduate students, correct?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so to clarify, maintenance loan from SF is only for undergraduate students, correct?

Yes, that's right.

The Postgraduate Loan is a lump sum which you can put towards whatever you like, be that tuition fees or living costs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Klix.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.