Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm thinking of doing Sociology, which is BBB or BBC at most Universities. If I had a good personal statement and reference, what kind of AS grades would I need?

Did anyone else here get offers alot higher than their AS grades?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I assume grades along the lines of the conditional offer universities give out, like if a typical offer is BBB, you'd need around a BBB at AS Level or a lower one with a higher predicted A Level.

Universities will generally give offers they feel that you are capable of achieving and are within your capacity!

ReputationRep:
    While your AS grades will be taken into account by admissions tutors they won't be the only thing, as you say a good personal statement and reference are important too. Predicted grades grades are what gives admissions tutors an idea of whether to give an offer or not, the teachers who have taught you for AS and most likely for A2 also will know what you are capable of gaining far more than an admissions tutor who has never met you. So all in all if your teachers have said that they think you are capable of the BBB/BBC you need for sociology, then you should be fine in getting the offers you want.

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of Cambridge, the universities do not get to see your AS grades, they just get to see your predicted grades which are sent by your referee. My friend got BCC in her AS-levels and applied to study medicine which required AAB (she was obviously predicted AAB at least); having re-sat her AS's and working considerably harder in her A2 year, she got AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all of you.
    That's good that they don't see your AS results. I'm sure in the subjects that I get C's in, I can persuade my teachers to predict me B's next year
    My Sociology teacher said she will help me with my personal statement and write me a really good reference, so I should be ok then.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not unis see your AS grades depends on whether or not they're cashed in. In other words, if on results day you get overall grades for each subject on your results slip as well as module marks, and if you get a certificate for your AS grades, they're cashed in and you have to put them on your UCAS form unless you decline them, which your exams officer can sort out for you. If all you get on your results slip are module marks and you don't get certificates for your AS grades, they're not cashed in and you can't put them on your UCAS form. So it depends mainly on your college policy and also sometimes on what you personally decide to do. But anyway, predicted grades are generally slightly more important than AS grades because unis recognise that people can improve between AS and A2, especially with resits, and that some people may have just had a bad day. Obviously if you got DDEE and your teachers predicted you BBCC, the uni would be sceptical because it's very rare to go up 2 grades in each subject, but getting BCC and being predicted BBB would be quite normal. A good personal statement and reference will help as well. I got AABB at AS and Cambridge gave me an AAA offer, so you do sometimes get offers higher than your AS grades, but then of course you actually have to meet them, which I didn't quite manage :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is all based on what your teacher predicts you if you get lower than you shou7ld have.

ReputationRep:
    Universities consider the following (all on different levels)

Predicted A2 grades.
    Current AS grades
    Personal statement.
    Report from subject teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch87)
    With the exception of Cambridge, the universities do not get to see your AS grades
    erm, not quite.. there is a section on the UCAS form where you can enter the modules that you have completed and the grades you got.
    Of course, its not essential that you fill that part in but I guess if you don't it might look like you were hiding them or you were taking all 6 at the end of the two years.
    Since I was reasonably happy with my grades, I filled them all in but I know some people didn't at my school. I guess it depends on how competitive the individual university/course is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eflower)
    erm, not quite.. there is a section on the UCAS form where you can enter the modules that you have completed and the grades you got.
    Of course, its not essential that you fill that part in but I guess if you don't it might look like you were hiding them or you were taking all 6 at the end of the two years.
    Since I was reasonably happy with my grades, I filled them all in but I know some people didn't at my school. I guess it depends on how competitive the individual university/course is.
    Actually, you're not supposed to put down your AS grades at all; they're not an actual qualification in their own right unless you have cashed them in, and thus you don't put them on your UCAS form. No harm done if you do, however, as a generl rule, you dont put them in....

ReputationRep:
    Some places do cash them in (generally smaller schools) after AS, in which case you need to put them.

OP: If you mean 'what AS grades are realistically going to give me a chance', BBB will be ok - after resits, because almost everyone needs to resit at least one or two modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch87)
    Actually, you're not supposed to put down your AS grades at all; they're not an actual qualification in their own right unless you have cashed them in, and thus you don't put them on your UCAS form. No harm done if you do, however, as a generl rule, you dont put them in....
    This may be a newish thing then :s Ive attached a snip of my (2007) application. As I say though, the module details section wasn't compulsory.

Just to clarify for Cambridge, they require your UMS marks in each module as well.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Our college advised us against putting them down unless one of our uni choices explicity asked for them.

Teachers in my old school said that if you don't cash in your AS results unis are less likely to give you an offer - they like to have an idea of what you're going to get. Perhaps some universities wonder why you don't want them to view your results? I think teachers said that just so the year 12s would pull their finger out; they made students cash in their AS results so that they would perform better throughout the year (and not just hope they could redeem themselves in year 13). Make sense? They're threatening to stop January retakes now!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    getting BCC and being predicted BBB would be quite normal.
    Oh good, that's reassuring. I think when I've dropped Maths this year, I will have considerably more time to improve my other subject grades for A2!

If I was predicted say ABC, would a University at BBB give me conditional offer?
    Also, I've had some personal issues this year and the Child Protection Officer at college said to me that it will be taken into account when your AS grades come through. So will it just say on my reference that i've had personal issues, so look at the AS grades in context? Or will it just be made aware to my subject teachers so they can boost up my predicted grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaltears)
    If I was predicted say ABC, would a University at BBB give me conditional offer?
    Also, I've had some personal issues this year and the Child Protection Officer at college said to me that it will be taken into account when your AS grades come through. So will it just say on my reference that i've had personal issues, so look at the AS grades in context? Or will it just be made aware to my subject teachers so they can boost up my predicted grade?
    It depends on the uni, the course and the rest of your application, ie personal statement and reference, but ABC and BBB are the same in terms of points, so as long as the C wasn't in an important subject, you should have a pretty good chance. I'd imagine your form tutor (or whoever writes your reference) would be informed as well as your subject teachers, so it should affect both your predicted grades and your reference. It would be worth either mentioning it yourself or asking the Child Protection Officer to before you apply to make sure it's included because unis do make allowances for things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've also been wondering the same. I know roughly what my predicted grades will be like (either AAA or AAB). However, when I sat some of my exams, I was having a really bad day and forgot half of the stuff I'd revised (despite having revised it for 3 solid weeks). I also had Hay Fever at the time. I won't be able to see what I got until the 16th of course, but my worries are that I did terrible in these exams. So if I did terrible in them, will my predicted grades me lowered even if my teachers know that I am capable of gaining much higher grades and I'll probably be re-sitting most of them in January anyway? This is really worrying me. And if I didn't do very well in my AS exams, yet my predicted grades are higher, will unies still consider me? There's one uni I really want to get into, and the minimum is ABB (I think). I'm working hard on my personal statement at the moment and have done a lot of other work, just hope my grades won't let me down. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristoteles)
    Hi, I've also been wondering the same. I know roughly what my predicted grades will be like (either AAA or AAB). However, when I sat some of my exams, I was having a really bad day and forgot half of the stuff I'd revised (despite having revised it for 3 solid weeks). I also had Hay Fever at the time. I won't be able to see what I got until the 16th of course, but my worries are that I did terrible in these exams. So if I did terrible in them, will my predicted grades me lowered even if my teachers know that I am capable of gaining much higher grades and I'll probably be re-sitting most of them in January anyway? This is really worrying me. And if I didn't do very well in my AS exams, yet my predicted grades are higher, will unies still consider me? There's one uni I really want to get into, and the minimum is ABB (I think). I'm working hard on my personal statement at the moment and have done a lot of other work, just hope my grades won't let me down. :\
    Don't worry, this happens to a lot of people. The Unis won't even know what your AS grades are so that won't affect your offers, but make sure you get decent predictions. Personally, I just threatened / begged / bribed them and they gave me AAA predictions lol.

ReputationRep:
    haha, I'll have a talk with my teachers. Cheers. As long as my predicted grades are either AAA or AAB then I'm happy. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    The Unis won't even know what your AS grades are so that won't affect your offers
    This will not be true for 2007-08 as you have to put your AS module grades on the UCAS form for all universities. And, of course, Cambridge will know your UMS as usual.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.