The Student Room Group

Protostar's Path to Perfection!

Scroll to see replies

CATCH-UP FOR WEDNESDAY 21/06:

6 DOWN, 1 TO GO...

Free: I went to see my work experience coordinator to hand her my passport and a bank statement for photocopying. Got that all sorted out, then I had to go and hand in some forms to another teacher, and after that I met my friend in the library and we revised physics together :yep:

Study period: I genuinely don't think I've ever worked harder in a study period this entire year :rofl: I spent the whole time just cramming physics pretty intensely, I regretted not doing any revision the night before. I got through a fair amount of it though so I felt somewhat prepared for my mock.

Physics Mock Exam: So I included this as one of my exams, even though it's just a mock. I felt reasonably prepared before going in, we were told it'd be on particles, quantum physics and mechanics only (my strongest three units), so I was feeling pretty good.
I shouldn't have felt good.
Turns out my teacher had actually given us the locked AS specimen paper, so it had elements of all this year's units in it. I managed the particles/quantum stuff alright, which lured me into a false sense of security as this was the first question. The whole second question - I have absolutely no idea what topic it was on! It seemed to give us practically no information and then go on to ask us to calculate stuff...I was utterly lost. I left the majority of this question blank, and I'm pretty sure that the one part I did answer I got wrong anyway. Great stuff. The mechanics question was horrible - it started off alright asking us to state the principle of moments, pretty standard, but then I must have messed up the moments question somehow as I was getting a value of 84 when it asked to show that it was 50 :indiff:. Luckily the rest was just some suvat stuff I believe so that wasn't bad. There was a 6 mark question on line spectra which I saved until last but was able to answer at least. I was very shocked when I turned the page to find electricity :shock: I mean I'm terrible at it anyway, so this was just awful for me! I don't even remember the questions, all I remember is not being able to answer them :lol:. The last question was on waves, another weak area for me, but the first half of the question wasn't too bad at all. The second half though, ?????? I could've sworn we weren't even taught half of it. I left the entire back page blank :hide:
Came out of that exam feeling horrible, but felt slightly less awful when I remembered it was only a mock. What a joke of a paper. Physics is definitely going to test me next year....

EPQ: Yep, still had to go to this :colonhash: I've been advised to change my question because my teacher feels as though there isn't enough evidence out :banghead: I've seriously had it with EPQ, it stresses me out and won't benefit me in any way whatsoever. Sighhhhh so now I have to think about what the hell to do for this now as well. Grr.

After school: Went to go an hand my M1 textbook back to my teacher, and I told him how well I've actually done - he high fived me and told me that'd made his day :colondollar: which I thought was really sweet!!
I didn't do any revision as I was taking Thursday off for study leave anyway :nah:

Current totals:
:biggrin:: 2
:smile:: 1
:s-smilie:: 0
:frown:: 3
:mad: 0

JUNE GOALS PROGRESS:
Goal One: I didn't walk :no:
Goal Two: I revised for 2 hours in the morning, pretty full on as well
Goal Three: 2 good ones! Not counting the physics as it was just a mock :smile:
Goal Four: Ooooh I don't remember at all!
Goal Five: I didn't do one :no:
Goal Six: Had the evening off from revision :yep:
Goal Seven: Uhhh I can't remember this either :ashamed:
Well done with M1! Its so nice to hear that your hard work paid off! :biggrin::biggrin:

Never mind about physics as you say its only just a mock so its more important to focus on doing amazing in d2.

We both only have one exam left now:smile: so glad that exam season will soon be over !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Protostar
CATCH-UP FOR TUESDAY 20/06:

5 DOWN, 2 TO GO...

M1 is over! While I'm glad about it being done with because it means my biggest exam worries are behind me, I'm also quite sad that I no longer have any reason to procrastinate revising D2 by revising M1 instead (I'm tooooootally not guilty of this :colondollar:)

I did some last minute revision in the morning to reboost my confidence, which paid off and I'm glad I did that. I even did some revision on the bus to school, that's how desperate I was to do well in this exam after the semi-disasters that were Core 1 and 2...

When I was actually in the exam hall, I thought it was a horrifically hard paper. I was doubting all of my answers, the second question didn't even look like a momentum question at all (I spent forever looking at it like: :indiff: before realising!), there were a lot of "explain" questions, which I do badly on, there was a DISGUSTING 9 mark vectors question (albeit not as disgusting as last year's 10 mark one...) and the projectiles question at the very end was disguised strangely as well (I'm glad your phone fell off the roof, stupid builder :grumble:)

So on my first run-through of the paper, I thought it was going awfully. Then I went through it again.

I managed to do the second part of the momentum question (although there's now debate about the answer to this, I seem to have got the most common one). I realised what I'd done wrong on the vectors question and managed to do it all (:biggrin:), I did the river boat question omg!!!, and I did the projectiles question. I was feeling a lot more confident at this point! :thumbsup:

I came out of the exam feeling alright and that the exam could've been worse, and that's what I told my teacher when he came to see us afterwards. The others all thought it was a pretty good exam, which made me slightly doubtful as, although I thought I managed most questions alright, I did find it a tough paper.

After looking at the unofficial mark scheme (in true TSR style :cool:) I changed my mind drastically. I only dropped between 2 and 6 marks!!! I'm still in shock about this! :lol: Safe to say I'm over the moon, I did what I needed to do to secure my A in maths. I'm chuffed :h:

Current totals:
:biggrin:: 2
:frown:: 2

Yay for more good than bad now!! :woo:

JUNE GOALS PROGRESS:
Goal One: I walked home :yep:
Goal Two: I did some last minute revision this morning, and even on the bus :lol:
Goal Three: 2 good exams! :biggrin: Pulling it back :dumbells:
Goal Four: Went to sleep at around 11:30ish I reckon, and woke up at 8 :yy:
Goal Five: I did one past paper this morning, and then sat my real paper
Goal Six: I had the evening off (should NOT have done this, looking back) as I was just exhausted and relieved!
Goal Seven: I stayed off TSR as much as possible in the morning, but didn't restrict myself at all in the evening

It's not letting me rep this :no:

Proud of youuuuuu :kissing2:
Original post by leopard923
Well done with M1! Its so nice to hear that your hard work paid off! :biggrin::biggrin:

Never mind about physics as you say its only just a mock so its more important to focus on doing amazing in d2.

We both only have one exam left now:smile: so glad that exam season will soon be over !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin: I'm so so glad it did :colondollar:

Yeah exactly, that's why I didn't allow myself to get upset over it :nah:

I've actually finished :redface: I went out earlier so didn't get to finish updating, will try and get it done soon! You can power through this last exam, good luck!! What's it for? :h:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's not letting me rep this :no:

Proud of youuuuuu :kissing2:

It let me rep you though :awesome: so all is good!

Thanks lovely :lovehug:
Thank you! :biggrin: I'm so so glad it did :colondollar:

Yeah exactly, that's why I didn't allow myself to get upset over it :nah:

I've actually finished :redface: I went out earlier so didn't get to finish updating, will try and get it done soon! You can power through this last exam, good luck!! What's it for? :h:
:

Ohhhhh :tongue: well I hope d2 went well too :smile:. I have s2 on Monday :redface: and thank you !! I hope you have a relaxing weekend !

And good luck for results day as well , I hope you do amazing - you deserve it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
WELL DONE FOR M1!!!! :biggrin: It sounds amazing, I'm so proud of you! Don't worry about Physics, as it's only a mock and you can prove yourself better in the next mock :smile: And I hope D2 went well!
dear lord i need to update
Original post by leopard923
Ohhhhh :tongue: well I hope d2 went well too :smile:. I have s2 on Monday :redface: and thank you !! I hope you have a relaxing weekend !

And good luck for results day as well , I hope you do amazing - you deserve it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: How did S2 go? I can't remember if I did or not but I have certainly relaxed since then!

Aw thank you, you too :hugs:
Original post by Tombre
WELL DONE FOR M1!!!! :biggrin: It sounds amazing, I'm so proud of you! Don't worry about Physics, as it's only a mock and you can prove yourself better in the next mock :smile: And I hope D2 went well!

Thank you!! Aw bless you :cry2: I'm finally gonna update on how it went :tongue:
CATCH-UP FOR THURSDAY 22/06:

Final day of study leave for the year! :shock: But I didn't use it as wisely as I'd planned...

Basically a lot of my day was preoccupied with other things that distracted me a lot from revision (I thought they'd all be done with sooner than they were, so I couldn't get started until much later than I wanted :frown:) But once that was all done I decided to go for it.

At around 5pm I blocked myself from checking TSR or any social media until after my exam was done. I was really stressed about it :redface: I forgot how little of D2 I actually remembered and the self-teaching wasn't really going to plan. I decided to bail on all chapters except network flows and dynamic programming. I gave up with network flows as I thought I understood it, so focused a load of time on DP until I felt I'd got there. Then at around 12am I did a past paper in exam conditions, and I got 71/75 so I felt reasonably prepared :smile:

I went to sleep at just after 2am :crazy: which wasn't my brightest idea. But, I tried my best to get everything done I suppose :dontknow:
:top: You deffo smashed it!
CATCH-UP FOR FRIDAY 23/06

7 DOWN, 0 TO GO - I'M FREE! :biggrin:

I had my D2 exam this morning, and left school at 10:30am a free spirit :party: aaaaand, I ended it on a high note!

Overall I think D2 went quite well. It's not the most popular exam, so there still isn't any form of unofficial mark scheme, but from what I can gauge from others I think it was a reasonable success. I think I've missed the A* but definitely hit the A, so I'm still really happy and can still go for an A* next year if I want to (although this will be a huge bonus, I would be absolutely elated with an A in FM next year :yep:). So that means I'm completely certain that I've got an A overall in AS Further Maths :biggrin: Over the mooooooon :woo:

I know I messed up nearest neighbour (literally NO idea how but I did...), and network flows. I may have lost a few other marks along the way but overall that was about it. I got the Dynamic Programming question fully correct :adore: but they were kind with it :mmm:

Freedom tastes good :tongue:

Final totals
:biggrin:: 3

My AS education is over :eek: on to the next chapter!

(Updates will still be happening probably through to August, as I still have things to write about such as futures week, work experience and my summer school :smile:)

Thanks to everyone who supported me through Y12, and most importantly during exams. Would've been a lot more difficult to manage without your words! :grouphugs: Just have to wait until August to see if I've done you proud now...
CATCH-UP FOR MONDAY 26/06

"Focus On Your Futures" Week - Day One
Sixth Form Conference: Leeds Beckett University

So today was the first day of "futures week", where we have no actual lessons and are just told things that will help us with our futures, funnily enough! :tongue:

We headed over to Leeds Beckett University where there were a few other schools, and we were put into groups of around 25. Everyone in my group was from my school, but not everyone from my school was in my group (if that makes sense?) and we had a student ambassador guiding us around.

Our first session was "Reaching Your Potential" led by a very enthusiastic man who went by the name of "Papa G" (I honestly wish I was making this up). In this session he gave us some motivational pep talks supplemented by clips from various Disney films (Kung Fu Panda was a recurring one), and occasionally we had to turn to our partners and say things like "I am amazing", "I believe in you", "I love you" etc. etc. It was a strange session to say the least but it was reasonably entertaining :lol:

After this we were given juice and biscuits (all the more reason to carry on :tongue:) and headed over to the Personal Statement talk. It basically told us everything we already know about PS writing, but the odd couple of tips were semi-new to me. I feel like the advice will come in more handy when I actually start to draft my PS, as at the moment I have no clue where to begin...

The next workshop was Student Finance and Budgeting, and literally none of it was new. I have had so many SF talks at various uni events I've been to (Realising Opportunities, Durham, Reach for Excellence etc and now this :banghead:) but it was compulsory so I went. I did learn that insurance was a lot cheaper than I expected it to be, so this was pretty good to know :smile:

Before lunch we had the Student Life/Transition to Uni workshop, which was a bit more new. I can't really remember what was said, all I know is that they were discussing whether it's better to stay local and commute to uni or to move out and away from home (a decision which most people have already made tbh...) and then about choosing the best value accommodation. All the rest is a bit of a blur (it's been a week and a half, cut me some slack please! :lol:) but I wasn't exactly enthralled with it anyway...

Lunch was surprisingly tasty :tongue: I enjoyed it a lot :colone:

Straight after lunch we got back into our groups and headed off on a mini campus tour, going around the Student Hub, Tech facilities, Carnegie Village (accommodation), Carnegie Sports, the uni Library and then heading into an IT room to do a personality test (which confirmed for the fifth time that I am indeed an ISTJ :rofl:). After this we headed back into the main lecture theatre for a quick evaluation of the day before being allowed to go home!

The day was a bit of a waste but it was much better than lessons, so I'm not complaining. A lot of the SAs were going on the basis that we were prospective LBU students (no one is really considering it :rofl:) so that was slightly annoying but other than that it wasn't so bad :tongue:
CATCH-UP FOR FRIDAY 23/06

7 DOWN, 0 TO GO - I'M FREE! :biggrin:

I had my D2 exam this morning, and left school at 10:30am a free spirit :party: aaaaand, I ended it on a high note!

Overall I think D2 went quite well. It's not the most popular exam, so there still isn't any form of unofficial mark scheme, but from what I can gauge from others I think it was a reasonable success. I think I've missed the A* but definitely hit the A, so I'm still really happy and can still go for an A* next year if I want to (although this will be a huge bonus, I would be absolutely elated with an A in FM next year :yep:). So that means I'm completely certain that I've got an A overall in AS Further Maths :biggrin: Over the mooooooon :woo:

I know I messed up nearest neighbour (literally NO idea how but I did...), and network flows. I may have lost a few other marks along the way but overall that was about it. I got the Dynamic Programming question fully correct :adore: but they were kind with it :mmm:

Freedom tastes good :tongue:

Final totals
:biggrin:: 3

My AS education is over :eek: on to the next chapter!

(Updates will still be happening probably through to August, as I still have things to write about such as futures week, work experience and my summer school :smile:)

Thanks to everyone who supported me through Y12, and most importantly during exams. Would've been a lot more difficult to manage without your words! :grouphugs: Just have to wait until August to see if I've done you proud now...

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats lovely :king1: :party: :woo: :yay: :danceboy:

Proud of you, whatever happens with grades :penguinhug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats lovely :king1: :party: :woo: :yay: :danceboy:

Proud of you, whatever happens with grades :penguinhug:

Thank you :colondollar: :hugs:
CATCH-UP FOR TUESDAY 27/06

"Focus On Your Futures" Week - Day Two
Personal Statements and Apprenticeships Talks

Today was mainly a day of being talked at :grumble: I hate that.

I walked in to the theatre to a woman from Sheffield University talking about the dos and don'ts of PS writing. (Yes, again :colonhash:) It was very boring, especially after yesterday, so I switched off a bit and almost fell asleep a couple of times! :redface: She didn't say anything new anyway, everything she did say I'd been told already...

When she'd finished, someone from the Apprenticeship Hub came and spoke to us about apprenticeships. The information was good and would have been great for those considering that route, the only problem is that there are only three people in my year who are even considering it, so the fact that we all had to sit through it to no real benefit was a bit of a pain :erm:

After break we were supposed to start drafting our Personal Statements using Unifrog, which I did. I used something I wrote when I was applying to the Durham programme, which I will tweak and will be used for my introduction (my HOY said it was an effective way of opening it so I'm going with it!). I didn't get much further than this though. I'm at a slight advantage in the fact that I know exactly what I want to apply for (many people in my year don't have many ideas or have recently swayed away from their previous idea) so I could get on with it straight away - a lot of people spent the hour researching courses to apply for :redface:

We were supposed to go on a picnic trip with the Y11s today but the weather was too bad. Instead we went into the drama studio, were given a doughnut/cookie and a drink, and played a few games. The first one was a riddle puzzle (my team got 14/20), and after this we played some strange "who am I" game that was a bit of a disaster :lol:

Because they had literally nothing else to occupy us with for the remainder of the day they let us go home at lunch, which I greatly appreciated! :yep:
CATCH-UP FOR MONDAY 26/06

"Focus On Your Futures" Week - Day One
Sixth Form Conference: Leeds Beckett University

So today was the first day of "futures week", where we have no actual lessons and are just told things that will help us with our futures, funnily enough! :tongue:

We headed over to Leeds Beckett University where there were a few other schools, and we were put into groups of around 25. Everyone in my group was from my school, but not everyone from my school was in my group (if that makes sense?) and we had a student ambassador guiding us around.

Our first session was "Reaching Your Potential" led by a very enthusiastic man who went by the name of "Papa G" (I honestly wish I was making this up). In this session he gave us some motivational pep talks supplemented by clips from various Disney films (Kung Fu Panda was a recurring one), and occasionally we had to turn to our partners and say things like "I am amazing", "I believe in you", "I love you" etc. etc. It was a strange session to say the least but it was reasonably entertaining :lol:

After this we were given juice and biscuits (all the more reason to carry on :tongue:) and headed over to the Personal Statement talk. It basically told us everything we already know about PS writing, but the odd couple of tips were semi-new to me. I feel like the advice will come in more handy when I actually start to draft my PS, as at the moment I have no clue where to begin...

The next workshop was Student Finance and Budgeting, and literally none of it was new. I have had so many SF talks at various uni events I've been to (Realising Opportunities, Durham, Reach for Excellence etc and now this :banghead:) but it was compulsory so I went. I did learn that insurance was a lot cheaper than I expected it to be, so this was pretty good to know :smile:

Before lunch we had the Student Life/Transition to Uni workshop, which was a bit more new. I can't really remember what was said, all I know is that they were discussing whether it's better to stay local and commute to uni or to move out and away from home (a decision which most people have already made tbh...) and then about choosing the best value accommodation. All the rest is a bit of a blur (it's been a week and a half, cut me some slack please! :lol:) but I wasn't exactly enthralled with it anyway...

Lunch was surprisingly tasty :tongue: I enjoyed it a lot :colone:

Straight after lunch we got back into our groups and headed off on a mini campus tour, going around the Student Hub, Tech facilities, Carnegie Village (accommodation), Carnegie Sports, the uni Library and then heading into an IT room to do a personality test (which confirmed for the fifth time that I am indeed an ISTJ :rofl:). After this we headed back into the main lecture theatre for a quick evaluation of the day before being allowed to go home!

The day was a bit of a waste but it was much better than lessons, so I'm not complaining. A lot of the SAs were going on the basis that we were prospective LBU students (no one is really considering it :rofl:) so that was slightly annoying but other than that it wasn't so bad :tongue:

I went to this at Leeds Beckett!! Did you go to the universities section? We only went for the afternoon to this and it was very interesting to see all the unis laid out :biggrin: Have waaaaay too many prospectuses now though :colondollar:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I went to this at Leeds Beckett!! Did you go to the universities section? We only went for the afternoon to this and it was very interesting to see all the unis laid out :biggrin: Have waaaaay too many prospectuses now though :colondollar:

This was Wednesday! Writing about that now :colondollar: Omg how strange that you were also there!
This was Wednesday! Writing about that now :colondollar: Omg how strange that you were also there!

Haha yeah! I think that location was for all of Yorkshire and the Humberside or something? Glad to know you're northern :biggrin:
CATCH-UP FOR WEDNESDAY 28/06

"Focus On Your Futures" Week - Day Three
West and North Yorkshire UCAS Exhibition: Leeds Beckett University

Back at Beckett :tongue:

This time for a slightly better and more useful event though, a UCAS exhibition. We arrived at 11am, signed in and then went off to wander. I went straight into the university area to see what it was all about.

I went and spoke to Lancaster University about their maths course and picked up a prospectus, and I went around some others including Edinburgh, Manchester, St Andrew's, Cardiff, and Durham. Most of them were pretty useless and just told me to go and look on their website, which I found quite annoying as what was the point in them being there in the first place?? But I was glad to get a Lancaster prospectus, have been considering them for quite a while now :yep:

After I'd seen all I wanted to see I went out with my friend into the pouring rain (the weather was TERRIBLE) and we got some chips for lunch :tongue: we also met up with two other friends who were telling us about where they'd been etc.

Once we were all nice and full we headed inside to shelter for a while before we headed off to various different talks. I went to the one about applying to uni through UCAS where I kid you not I was one of three people there, one of which was a parent. It was very awkward but I learnt a fair amount!

After that was over we went and signed out with our HOY and made our way home :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Well done :yay:on everything you've achieved this year Niamh! It's been great following your progress and you'll have done amazing on results day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending