Currently temping. What next? Watch

tis_only_meee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm currently a temp for an insurance brokers. I thoroughly dislike it. Initially I was only supposed to be a temp for 3 months and after this period they were supposed to review my position and decide whether to make me permanent or not. I've now been there over 4 months and I'm still a temp. It's poorly paid and the hours are long.

I never really wanted this job in the first place. My goal is to eventually go back to university but I'm so tired from this dead end job that I barely have time to eat when I get home, let alone study part-time.

I'm wondering, is it worth doing a job for a bit of money in the short term, if it jeopardises things in the long term? I feel stuck and I don't think I should be feeling this at the age of 19.
simon123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tis_only_meee)
I'm currently a temp for an insurance brokers. I thoroughly dislike it. Initially I was only supposed to be a temp for 3 months and after this period they were supposed to review my position and decide whether to make me permanent or not. I've now been there over 4 months and I'm still a temp. It's poorly paid and the hours are long.

I never really wanted this job in the first place. My goal is to eventually go back to university but I'm so tired from this dead end job that I barely have time to eat when I get home, let alone study part-time.

I'm wondering, is it worth doing a job for a bit of money in the short term, if it jeopardises things in the long term? I feel stuck and I don't think I should be feeling this at the age of 19.
No it definatly is not. If this job is jepodising your chances of getting to university quit it. It is nice to have some money but in the long term if you dont make it to university you will probably end up earning less.
Vohamanah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd speak to your supervisor and say you were supposed to have a review after 3 months. Explain that you see it as a temporary job and that you are not earning enough money to make it worthwhile to continue. Gives them the choice to make it a permanent position with a pay rise, or if not you can leave.
tis_only_meee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thank you both so much for replying. You've basically said what I've been trying to tell myself in my head, it helps to hear it from other people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads