Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37271420

May respects that leavers want controlled migration but does not support a points-based system.

What kind of system do you think could be used instead, if any?

At this rate we may not even lose freedom of movement... not that I mind!

ReputationRep:
    Well, anything but freedom of movement. Freedom of movement is a flawed system.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah although I don't like her, its good she is being sensible about Brexit. The proposals from the leave campaign were very unrealistic, and it will be good to keep freedom of movement.

ReputationRep:
    A quota system can surely be used. I don’t see what's so difficult about the idea of a quota system or a points system capped by a quota.

Immigration is neither here nor there. Every sensible person knows it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to the country. The important thing is can we get full or advantageous access to the single market while providing some sop on immigration.

I am still convinced May wants an EEA type exit with the additional concession of an emergency brake, i.e. a quota, on immigration. The EU will not accept a points system within the EEA but we know from Cameron's negotiation that they were somewhat prepared to offer an emergency brake. And May is softening up the xenophobes, racists and their tabloids with this announcement.

ReputationRep:
    The free movement system is flawed for a number of reasons, not only because it doesn't give national governments comprehensive controls over their immigration policy, but it also allows for an influx of unskilled workers from developing European nations, which bares a hindrance on the developing country - as they lose members of their labour force - and on the receiving country - as it puts pressure on public services and adds to unemployment.

The United Kingdom needs to adopt a comprehensive immigration strategy which filters candidates based on skill, potentiality for integration and personal wealth. All of the aforementioned are key elements of a successful immigration policy because it adds to community cohesion, therein mitigating the anti-immigrant mentality and aiding to a prosperous nation culminating of different peoples. The problem with unskilled migration is that it creates a burden in less prosperous communities; competition for work is already of pertinence at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum and the UK shouldn't be admitting unskilled migrants when there's already high unemployment among the aforesaid demographic.

I was a fan of the points based system, but any mechanism that reduces net migration and prioritises advantageous immigration is fine by me. Any attempt to dismiss calls for more stringent border controls will not go down well with the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't what she purposed practically the same as a point based system?

The idea of a point based system is that you can adjust the point requirement for entry, and control the points awarded for each category (e.g. more points for skills in demand). This essentially acts as a quota. If for example you want to halt immigration, all you need to is to increase the point requirement to a very high level or implement changes on the individual categories, if you want selective control.

So I'm not sure what the fuss is all about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37271420

May respects that leavers want controlled migration but does not support a points-based system.

What kind of system do you think could be used instead, if any?

At this rate we may not even lose freedom of movement... not that I mind!
    One rule that should stop most immigration is the requirement that you have a job to come to and a legal requirment that offering a role to a migrant can only be as a result to an inability to fill the role.

Also a requirment that if you want to bring your family with your then your tax contributions should cover ALL costs (health care , schooling etc....)

ReputationRep:
    How about no immigration at all?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.