Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens if student finance declines me but I've already registered for Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    HiI'm waiting to hear a response from student finance (been 2 weeks since I sent the form) but I'm in the process of completing the registration forms for Greenwich University.
    If student finance says no for whatever reason, would I be allowed to leave the uni without paying a fee? Or will they insist that I pay for the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeptemberIsHere)
    HiI'm waiting to hear a response from student finance (been 2 weeks since I sent the form) but I'm in the process of completing the registration forms for Greenwich University.
    If student finance says no for whatever reason, would I be allowed to leave the uni without paying a fee? Or will they insist that I pay for the first year?
    Most unis have some sort of grace period before you start owing tuition fees, but each can set their own. It may be as little as a few days after the course's start date, or a couple of weeks. Greenwich will have their small print online somewhere so you should be able to look it up. After that, there's a tuition fee liability, with an amount which increases the longer you stay at uni.

Is there a real risk that SF will turn you down? The only reasons for being refused are pretty obvious e.g. you don't meet the residence criteria, you have done too much uni-level study before or you already have an equivalent or lower qualification. None of these should come as a surprise. It isn't credit checked, so that won't be a factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Most unis have some sort of grace period before you start owing tuition fees, but each can set their own. It may be as little as a few days after the course's start date, or a couple of weeks. Greenwich will have their small print online somewhere so you should be able to look it up. After that, there's a tuition fee liability, with an amount which increases the longer you stay at uni.

Is there a real risk that SF will turn you down? The only reasons for being refused are pretty obvious e.g. you don't meet the residence criteria, you have done too much uni-level study before or you already have an equivalent or lower qualification. None of these should come as a surprise. It isn't credit checked, so that won't be a factor.
    I was just curious because I have applied for student finance not too long ago and Uni is starting soon. I was worried about what would happen if something were to go wrong.

I checked it now and it says on the Greenwich website that you have about 6 weeks before they start asking you for the fees if you're waiting for student finance. Thanks for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.