Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I want to buy a compact point and shoot camera to use when I go on holiday. The Sony RX100 seems like a good choice, with 20.2 MP, 1080p HD video and 1" sensor. It costs £279, which I can afford - but should I spend that much on a camera?

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same camera, I've had it for a few years and bought it when it cost a lot more than £279. It's well worth the money but it depends on your circumstances. When I bought mine it was about about 2 days pay and I was working full time so it didn't really make any difference. If you're on student loans and trying to make a grand last 3 months then I'd say probably not a good idea.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by honour)
    I want to buy a compact point and shoot camera to use when I go on holiday. The Sony RX100 seems like a good choice, with 20.2 MP, 1080p HD video and 1" sensor. It costs £279, which I can afford - but should I spend that much on a camera?
    Good price, I'd take it. Good for astrophotography too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally for me it would be too much for a compact. I got a decent bridge camera that I'm happy with for £300 (also a Sony).

That said if it's one you like and will get use out of then there's no reason not to spend that amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honour)
    It's worth spending thatmuch *if you want images of a far higher standard than a smartphone, especially in low light. The quality difference between basic compacts and the RX100 is substantial, even in auto mode the results are far significant and if you wanted to take the time to learn about the manual modes you'd be able to achieve images not even possible with cheaper cameras. If the image quality of a high end smartphone is satisfying enough for you, pick up whatever Sony or Nikon compact you can find for under £100 and you'll find the image quality fine with the flexibility of optical zoom, if you want to capture something more impressive, spring for the RX100.

ReputationRep:
    I would if you care about the quality of your photographs. That camera is capable of taking far higher quality pictures than a smart phone is capable of. The last camera that I bought cost me north of £279 so I would not say that it is too much!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.