Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is listening that important to girls? watch

Whenever my gf texts me and says she's upset about work or she had troubles with her family, I go to her place, bring some food, listen to her talk, and cuddle and give her cute forehead kisses.

I don't usually offer any useful advice, at all, like I don't solve her problems, but she LOOOOOOOVES it. Like, honestly, this is an advice to other guys: if your gf is anything like mine, she'll be all over you the next day or possibly that same night.

Why do girls appreciate such gestures so much? I don't complain at all obviously but for me, when she listens to my ranting, I don't feel like it's some grand gesture. I could and do rant to my guy friends about it. What makes it so different when your bf does it?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This is something I have thought about before, not just in romantic relationships. There's an episode of Modern Family about this where Phil discovers what he should do and it's quite interesting. Jumping in and trying to solve someone's problems is difficult and often not what they want. Listening and showing empathy is also very difficult but kind of helps too, or so I have found
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Being listened to is great, I mean, would you like to be ignored? No, didn't think so.

ReputationRep:
    To me small gestures like that is sweet because it shows you care, even though it's actually my friends who I rant to I still appreciate it because it shows I can rely on them

ReputationRep:
    So cute 😇

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's their second most needed sense. Like 98% sure.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yep because they will shout at you if you forget what they told you. Understand the specifics like tone of voice and amount of decibels her voice is

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wish my boyfriend does what you do!! He's very lovely and whenever I'm sad always asks me what's wrong and tries to make it better and I know he means well but really it just ends up making it worse.

The reason why she probably likes it is because she's not actually looking for advice, because it's unlikely that there's anything you or her can do about the situation. She just wants you to be there for her when she's feeling down, be the happy part of the day that went badly. She's not looking for more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we do love a good listener

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do girls appreciate such gestures so much?
    They like to talk a lot :mmm:

What makes it so different when your bf does it?
    A boyfriend like yourself is akin to a person-centred therapist (someone who will listen, from a position of unconditional positive regard, empathy, and congruence)

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're autistic who doesn't like those kinds of gestures

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.