Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a Year 13 student studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, but I've recently looked at entry requirements for some medical schools and some do not accept Further Maths A Level as a separate qualification to Maths A Level, others say that Further Maths is only acceptable until AS, whilst a few medical schools do not mention the situation of Maths and Further Maths A Levels at all.

I'd appreciate all help on the matter as I'm finding it quite confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Because you have Biology, Chemistry, and Maths, you will be fine with Further Maths if that is what you want to study. Medical schools may not give you full credit for taking four A-Levels, instead viewing you as having taken three, but they will not hold it against you.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you really want to do further maths then id drop it. You don't need 4 a levels for a medicine offer and the extra work may results in a lower grade in your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    I'm currently a Year 13 student studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, but I've recently looked at entry requirements for some medical schools and some do not accept Further Maths A Level as a separate qualification to Maths A Level, others say that Further Maths is only acceptable until AS, whilst a few medical schools do not mention the situation of Maths and Further Maths A Levels at all.

What are you confused about? What you describe seems spot on!

The fact is: if someone has chemistry maths and FM then they are having a significantly narrower education than most. Med schools don't want that.

You, however, will be fine either way, if you get the grades. You will need to decide whether continuing with further maths is worth it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Doing FM will provide no benefit to your application. If you like it and want to carry on, by all means do, but if you'd rather focus on getting >AAA in Chem, Bio and Maths, that won't cause you any problems.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)

If you really like further maths keep doing it, but it will be of no benefit to medicine, and like you have found out your basically giving yourself more work for an ALevel which wont count during med admissions.
    Weigh it up in your head and see how you feel, in my opinion if you feel the workload is heavy, or you feel like you would like to spend more time on the required subjects then drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the responses, they've been very informative. I've now come to understand that Further Maths A Level will probably not improve my application and so it's more of a factor of whether I enjoy the subject enough, and more importantly, whether or not it will have a knock on effect on my other subjects. I'll most likely see how I find the workload over the next few weeks and make a conclusion based on whether I feel that Further Maths will negatively affect the required subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.