Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

21st Century Man and ‘The Android Existence’ watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever reflect on the state of the 21st century, on those soulless, dead days, imagining what would happen if you tried to find anyone anywhere with eyes that were not dead or looking at a device?

This death of emotional affect is quite shocking, if you've known anything before it, and if you try and live life not on the web or on the phone, I've often thought.
    It's like people really are resembling technology.

Anyway this is an interesting article

http://21stcenturywire.com/2014/12/1...oid-existence/

Thoughts on this article?

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, interesting read.

Unfortunately it's got the point now where you're nearly socially ostracised for not having Facebook, Twitter, etc. And so, as they say, the only way to go is up (and "up" in this case seems to be towards a downward spiral of not knowing what's going on unless the information you receive is pixellated. Hyperbole? Perhaps. But we'll see what happens in 5-10 years).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Mmm, interesting read.

Unfortunately it's got the point now where you're nearly socially ostracised for not having Facebook, Twitter, etc. And so, as they say, the only way to go is up (and "up" in this case seems to be towards a downward spiral of not knowing what's going on unless the information you receive is pixellated. Hyperbole? Perhaps. But we'll see what happens in 5-10 years).
    What do you think will happen? I don't think you are ostracized, to me that's weird as it is so non-private. I guess people who grow up with it will only ever know that.
    All the while people don't really interact much normally, and have no concentration span and want instant gratification..I wonder where this will go in extremis as I can't imagine it plus another 100 years.

ReputationRep:
    Going to a park and seeing most people glued to their phones playing Pokemon go is a sad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    What do you think will happen? I don't think you are ostracized, to me that's weird as it is so non-private. I guess people who grow up with it will only ever know that.
    All the while people don't really interact much normally, and have no concentration span and want instant gratification..I wonder where this will go in extremis as I can't imagine it plus another 100 years.
    Maybe "ostracised" as a bit too strong, but you can't deny that people who don't have Facebook are missing out on ****. I have it but I don't have the Messenger app, and people are constantly telling me to get it because it'd make communication so much easier (I guess they forget that the device they hold in their hands used to be predominantly used for mobile communication sans Internet, but whatever). I went through exactly the same **** with Whatsapp too.

Social media has become the foremost method of communication. ****, I remember when, if you wanted to get hold of your mates, you had to call their house phone from yours and go through the whole "Oh hi, it's x, is y there?" ordeal.

As far as the future is concerned... well, we've already seen Google Glasses. Once they get revamped and redeveloped and have their prices lowered so that they're immediately available for mass consumption, and then other similar devices come out and cycle their lifespan, the next logical step (provided the technology is there) would be cybernetic implants (though you'll have to take that with a pinch of salt; I've been reading a lot of sci-fi recently).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.