2017 UCAS Apply FAQ

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's that time of year - if you're starting your application to university through UCAS Apply then make sure you've looked through the TSR guides.

The TSR article on Registering and using UCAS Apply will answer most questions but there are always a few things that might need clearing up.

I'll add to this as questions come up so please ask your questions in this thread!

Deadlines

Deadlines set by your school or college are to make sure they don't end up with a bazillion references to write a week before the UCAS deadline (15 October 2016 for Oxbridge, Medicine, Dentistry and Vet Medicine and 15 January 2017 for equal consideration for other subjects/universities). TALK to your school/college about your application ASAP if you think you'll struggle to meet their deadlines for some reason. They'll usually have some flexibility as long as you're making progress on choosing your choices and are on top of writing your personal statements.

While the October deadline is set in stone (although mature applicants to Cambridge can apply later for some subjects) the deadline for other courses will not always be the final date that applications will be considered. A LOT of universities will have courses open to late applications after 15 January although the list will be smaller than if you apply earlier.

I don't know what course to apply for!

Then don't apply yet! Do your research, go to open days, look around TSR, talk to current students and graduates. Best of all - write a personal statement for each of your shortlist of courses, usually one PS will be easier to write and be a lot more convincing than the others.

I know what to apply for but I'm only sure about 3 universities (and I want to send my application off now)!

Then apply for the universities you're sure of. Especially if you're rushing to meet the deadline for Oxbridge you don't have to make all 5 choices straight away. You can add your remaining choices on later on once you've had more time to research. You can even wait to see if you're successful for Oxford/Cambridge before adding your last choices - as long as your add them on Track before the 15 January you'll meet the deadline for equal consideration.

Can I get into this course with my grades?

This isn't something anyone on TSR can answer for you...but the people who can are usually happy to help!
    quote from a Russell Group admissions tutor

Applicants probably have more misconceptions than colleagues. For example, some students think that they can’t ask us a question because somehow we’ll remember who they are and mark them down for it. In reality, we’re very keen for people to ask us questions; we’d like people to make a decision to study with us based on information rather than guesswork.

If your qualifications are unusual or you don't understand the requirements on a university website then don't be afraid to contact universities to ask what they're looking for.

http://university.which.co.uk/courses lists both the % of applicants who get an offer (usually a lot higher than you think!) and the most common A level subjects and grades of accepted students in previous years (sourced from http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=Degree if you want more details). If your predicted grades match the standard offer for a course and the offer rate on Which? is above 50% then you stand a very high chance of getting an offer unless you manage to apply with a PS for a different subject/course or you miss another key entry requirement.

I only have a D in GCSE English/Mathematics but I'm predicted all As at A level - will I get an offer?
    I have all As at A level but my IELTS scores are low - will I get an offer?

In both these cases universities have their hands tied. Most graduate jobs will ask for a C in English or Maths GCSE, and the UK government insists on certain English language requirements for awarding visas.
    While universities can often have a lot of flexibility over A level grades they far less likely to compromise over GCSE or IELTS requirements. If you can retake then DO retake and dedicate enough time to make sure you pass (because otherwise you face either being placed into Clearing a week late or missing out on a visa at the last minute).
    If you have the option to retake long before August then jump on it.

My predicted grades are too low!

Your predicted grades are absolutely down to your school/college. If you want them to be higher then you need to demonstrate to your school or college that you're capable of achieving higher grades. That might mean applying later in the year (December/January) so that you have time to demonstrate that you're working harder and doing better in tests.
    Your school/college are not your enemy. If you treat them like an enemy then you're very unlikely to get what you want.

Do I have to give my AS grades/list retakes/U grades?

See the "Declaring grades on UCAS" sticky. This explains what you need to include and has links to the UCAS advice that explains it (if your school/college are saying that you can leave off certified qualifications).
    It boils down to - declare ALL certified qualifications even if that means listing them multiple times. Universities decide which qualifications are relevant to your application NOT applicants.

I can't find my qualification?

If you're taking BTECs then don't rely on the UCAS Apply "frequently used" list of qualifications - type in BTEC and select the exact qualification you're taking. If you're not sure then speak to your school/college. If the achieved/predicted grades don't match what you've got/expect (eg you can only select D/M/P and you are expecting DDD/DDM etc grades) then you've probably selected the wrong type of BTEC.
    If you're applying while at university then this is a worked example of how to add university modules/credits to UCAS Apply.

Personal Statement!!!!!1111 ARRRRGHHHHH!!!"!1

PSs are hard - but writing about yourself and your interests well is a very useful skill. There is a whole BUNCH of resources to help you write your PS here on TSR including:
    - Subject guides to writing your PS
    - The TSR PS Builder which will help you draft your PS and give some automated feedback on what you've written.
    - The PS Advice subforum - for all your PS related questions (DON'T POST YOUR PS HERE!)
    - The TSR PS library - containing hundreds of PSs
    - Suggested further reading for your PS
    - The TSR PS Review service - for your final draft if you're an active TSR member then you can get a confidential review from a verified university student/graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in AS History but im predicted a C, is it possible that I can still get offers for courses that ask for AAB? I'm doing double BTEC in Business and predicted DD if that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I got a D in AS History but im predicted a C, is it possible that I can still get offers for courses that ask for AAB? I'm doing double BTEC in Business and predicted DD if that helps
    It's possible but you'd still need to get a B to be guaranteed a place next August.

It would be better if you could work extra hard in your Autumn term and demonstrate to your school/college that you're capable of getting a B (and then working your arse off to actually get your B).

Be sure to check with your university choices that they'll accept your BTEC DD as equivalent to AA at A level for the course you're applying to (there's a lot of variation on what will be accepted for BTECs so you need to do your research)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's possible but you'd still need to get a B to be guaranteed a place next August.

It would be better if you could work extra hard in your Autumn term and demonstrate to your school/college that you're capable of getting a B (and then working your arse off to actually get your B).

Be sure to check with your university choices that they'll accept your BTEC DD as equivalent to AA at A level for the course you're applying to (there's a lot of variation on what will be accepted for BTECs so you need to do your research)
    Yeah thanks man, I did call up the uni after results day to check and they said they definitely accept them. They ask for DDD, or DD with an A level equivalent (i think they are eluding to a B?)

I'll still apply but I'll work as hard as I can now before I apply in October to push the predicted grade to a B.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Im a Scottish student and am applying this year. GCSEs: A*A*AAAABCD.
    AS :AAAB predicted A level: AA*A*B

The reason I didn't do as well in GCSEs is because I had eating issues at the time. My teachers will say this in my references however and I have medical records to prove it. Will good unis take this into account?

I wanted to apply to St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol so far... St Andrews state on the website that they need B or above in Science or maths to get into each 'faculty' but say it depends on the context in which the grades were achieved. Do you think they'll take my mitigating circumstances into account or is this unlikely given how small and popular the uni is? ( applying for Russian and Art History).
    Any help would be appreciated! Ahah. Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I am going to apply uni for 2017 and I got a high C in my Further math AS exam.(I got 205 and 210 is B which is super close to). The predicted grade they gave me before I received my result was B and since I got a high C in my exam I don't know why they changed my predicted grade to C???

How am I suppose to ask them to change it cuz I really need at least a B in FM for applying uni

ReputationRep:
    They changed it because that's what you got, a C.

You can always ask them whether they would change it, however at the end of the day it is up to them to predict what they realistically think you'll get.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I used to think that most teacher would give one level higher than the result(ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elak715)
    Ok I used to think that most teacher would give one level higher than the result(ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ)
    Not necessarily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elak715)
    I am going to apply uni for 2017 and I got a high C in my Further math AS exam.(I got 205 and 210 is B which is super close to). The predicted grade they gave me before I received my result was B and since I got a high C in my exam I don't know why they changed my predicted grade to C???

How am I suppose to ask them to change it cuz I really need at least a B in FM for applying uni
    Try working harder/more effectively this term in order to demonstrate improvement to your teacher so they change your prediction before you apply later in the year.

ReputationRep:
    Be aware that a predicted grade can't be changed once the reference containing it has been submitted on the UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    ask your teacher to change it to a B/C, it will come up as a B on ucas and your teacher will stil seel the C so (thats a sneaky little tip for you !! )

ReputationRep:
    I got a U in AS Maths (I obtained an E in core 1 a B in core 2 and a U in stats), I was really let down by stats and core 1 which I think was just a bad exam, as I did much better in practice papers, fortunately my teachers fought for me and I was able to continue on.

In year 13 however, I got a new teacher and she is going to give me a very low predicted grade and the deadline for our ucas application is the 15th of october.

We have Mock exams in December and October (after Application close date), so I was wondering if it is possible to delay an application so I can prove to my teacher I can obtain a B, I also wanted to know, if I can get a higher predicted grade what will weigh more, my predicted grade or the U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbator)
    I got a U in AS Maths, I obtained an E in core 1 a B in core 2 and a U in stats. I was really let down by stats and core 1 which I think was just a bad exam as I did much better in practice papers, fortunately my teachers fought for me and I was able to continue on.

In year 13 however, I got a new teacher and she is going to give me a very low predicted grade and the deadline for our ucas application is the 15th of october.

We have Mock exams in December and October (after Application close date), I was wondering if it is possible to delay an application so I can prove to my teacher I can obtain a B. I also wanted to know if I can get a higher a higher predicted grade, what will weigh more, my predicted grade or U.
    October 15th is the closing date for Oxbridge, Medicine/Vetinary Science and Dentistry bro

Regular closing is Jan 15th so you best make the grade g

ReputationRep:
    The date you have been given must be an internal deadline, which is set so the teacher has enough time to go through everyone's application and add a reference. Your application is sent back to you once this is done so you can finalise things, like edit your personal statement or get your predicted grades changed. I'm pretty sure that this is how it must work for everyone.

By the way, my predicted grades were initially decided by my subject teachers (I think) but they were changed by my referee/head of sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    From what happened to me predicted grades are more important than AS grades. At my interviews they didn't even look at my AS grades and assumed I did better than I actually did based on my predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    Uni's don't give one about GCSE's. At my interviews nobody even knew what I got in my AS results, only what my predicted grades were. Also if they really care but they say they will take the context of the grades into account then I don't see how they can claim your grades weren't effected.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you check the requirements on the Uni site? it's not that hard

ReputationRep:
    U will be accepted

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to apply vet courses, got A level result as A*A*Aa, can I take IELTS after application deadline? As far as I know, if I am going to take it and get the score before deadline, I will possibly be given unconditional offers. I just concern it would be too rush to prepare it when I am still in progress of personal statement. It wastes my money and effort to do that if I at last get the score under 7.5...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 7, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
American or British/European: what type of pancakes do you like?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.