Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is telling your guy best friend you love him weird? Watch

I've recently got really close to this guy, we tell each other everything and he's helped me through some tough times... but it's not like that. I always have this feeling that I want to let him know I love him, because I really do love him very much, but more like a brother. I'm worried I'll say it by accident and it'll seem really weird.. but I think I would say it in a pretty casual way so it might not be an issue? I don't know, is it weird to tell a guy you love him when you're not in a relationship/don't want to be in one with him? Can a guy and a girl really be best friends? I'm also worried for when I do eventually meet someone as I'm not sure if he has feelings for me or not, but I don't want to ruin our relationship/hurt his feelings.

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/E765zGG4GLQ

wait until the bit where he says "I love you like a brother" to be honest it is only as weird as you make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've recently got really close to this guy, we tell each other everything and he's helped me through some tough times... but it's not like that. I always have this feeling that I want to let him know I love him, because I really do love him very much, but more like a brother. I'm worried I'll say it by accident and it'll seem really weird.. but I think I would say it in a pretty casual way so it might not be an issue? I don't know, is it weird to tell a guy you love him when you're not in a relationship/don't want to be in one with him? Can a guy and a girl really be best friends? I'm also worried for when I do eventually meet someone as I'm not sure if he has feelings for me or not, but I don't want to ruin our relationship/hurt his feelings.
    Not an issue if you know he doesnt fancy you. If he gets you like a sister then dont see it as a problem. just say 'man, i love you - you are always there for me, like the brother I always wanted'

done

i tell my guy best friend I love him now and then and he says the same... we've been friends for 5 years now so its not weird. and in those 5 years, we've both been with other people.

going to different unis now so its a bit sad

Is it weird to cuddle with a best guy friend? Sometimes I really want to but I don't know how he'd react.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Depends what your relationship is like.
    He will know what you are like.
    Presumably you mean you love him as a friend rather than being in love with him?

ReputationRep:
    is it weird to tell a guy you love him when you're not in a relationship/don't want to be in one with him?
    No, so long as you make it clear it's "like a brother"

Can a guy and a girl really be best friends?
    Sure, albeit that there's usually some measure of sexual tension involved unless both are butt-ugly

I'm not sure if he has feelings for me or not, but I don't want to ruin our relationship/hurt his feelings
    That's not very sensible honey. You don't owe any friend sexual abstinence, you have needs. If you ever sense someone is pining you need to help them address that, but understand it is their problem

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I say it to my friends but they girls and it's kinda different ❤️
    But for a guy, na... 😁

I get the feeling that women are a lot more emotional than men, so he would probably find it weird. Unless he's in touch with his sensitive side.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.