Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is best to aim for what you'll be best at and enjoy the most. The very talented salesperson will make far more money than a mediocre trader, and vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer-smith)
    In that case Sales is not "brain" of the bank, but the mouth and hands... The traders and analysts are the hearts and brains of the bank.

So is it better to aim for Trading and Analysts roles?
    Try analyse yourself and see which one fits you. For Sales, you dont really need to like numbers...all you need to have is good communication skills. If your math/analytical skills are no good, then sales is for you. If you like numbers and analytical roles, then analyst/trading is for you.

ReputationRep:
    How many Traders do a bank hire compared to Sales? Say, per 100 Sales people how many do they need to hire for Trading?

ReputationRep:
    How many Traders do a bank hire compared to Sales? Say, per 100 Sales people how many do they need to hire for Trading?
    Very awkward question. Banks hire grads on business needs. You can hire sales people without hiring trading people and vice-versa. Different from one bank to another.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think it is probably fairly meaningless to try and speculate about what the exit opportunities are like, since I'd argue that they depend more on the person than the effect of having finance on your CV. Ultimately, most of the people who go into front office jobs are the sort that will *make* opportunities for themselves after they leave and applying/not applying to finance because it has good exit opportunities may be a fallacy, since based on what HR depts consider important characteristics for recruits, they will have been recruited because they had the characteristics to make good exit opps for themeselves, rather than they had good exit opps available because they were recruited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager)
    Try analyse yourself and see which one fits you. For Sales, you dont really need to like numbers...all you need to have is good communication skills. If your math/analytical skills are no good, then sales is for you. If you like numbers and analytical roles, then analyst/trading is for you.
    One imagines that it's probably more profitable in the long run to make your career choice based on what you're good at rather than on what you're bad at.

ReputationRep:
    there are soo many empty desks out there on the trading floor in many investment banks.. its not about just hiring numbers..they're just trying to find the right people.. if u categorise yourself as one of those..you;ll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ4m1t)
    there are soo many empty desks out there on the trading floor in many investment banks.. its not about just hiring numbers..they're just trying to find the right people.. if u categorise yourself as one of those..you;ll be fine
    Really? The only empty seats I see are vacated by people on holiday ...they're actually removing offices to fit in more desks. Btw. it doesn't matter what you aim for - most IBs hire you onto their grad programme, where you're most likely to have a number of rotations across sales/trading/structuring (which is really useful to get to know complex structures). After this period, you'll decide together with the bank on the desk you will first join. As I see it, there is no hierarchy btw. these roles as they work really closely together. Actually, I see salespeople doing traders' jobs and structurers doing sales stuff, so there really is no predetermined job you will do, but whatever is required at that time. I guess that's what makes s+t interesting and stand out from other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    really!

The reason is that on a more structured desk the sales person is in control of the deal, so they have to have a working knowledge of every aspect of complex deals: structuring the bespoke product, knowing how the traders will hedge the product, knowing the legal and credit aspects of the trade and the counterparty
    Structuring it? No.
    How it will get hedged? No.
    Legal and credit aspects? Doubtful. It's a compliance issue firstly since standardising is becoming desirable and a credit issue - rarely.
    The counterparty? Give them that.

There were sales people on the UBS equities floor who didn't know what barriers would do to an option price... let alone how to hedge it or work out the probability of the barrier hit by looking at the replicating hedge of options striking at barrier...

(Original post by PortfolioManager)
    Interesting. Makes sense for Sales to move into Private Equity. They can do allot of LBO and sale/leaseback modelling and financial engineer buy-outs ?
    Not convinced. It is the syndication side who would price up and get this stuff ready. Not the origination end.

Mouthpiecing what syndication did isn't the same.

ReputationRep:
    sales into PE? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    yeh.. thats what i did.. started off at operations at a hedge fund after my a levels.. n trying to work my way up.. it will definitely help you land interviews for Front Office internships..
    how did you that sort of job at a hedge fund?did you apply through contacts?i ve been trying to do that, but they say they dont want me to train and work for only couple of months, because if would be a waste of money on training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    how did you that sort of job at a hedge fund?did you apply through contacts?i ve been trying to do that, but they say they dont want me to train and work for only couple of months, because if would be a waste of money on training.
    No fund is going to 'train' it's intern(s), atleast not like a bank anyway. If they used the training reason, that was an excuse to get rid of you. You need to hit the ground running, and that's why what you already know is more important for a hedge fund than a bank. Some people will sit with you and talk you through stuff but not like class room teaching. The bulk of the stuff you learn is as you do. Operations is different because that is mostly just doing monkey work and checking stuff, you only need to show the monkey a banana to do that, no need to put him through a costly training programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    well a contact told me they were hiring so i applied and had 2 rounds of interviews plus an IQ and numerical test..

ReputationRep:
    well a contact told me they were hiring so i applied and had 2 rounds of interviews plus an IQ and numerical test..
    Contact as in personal networking or agency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    sales into PE? hahaha
    Exactly! Thats my point! It was meant to be sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    Contact as in personal networking or agency?
    my cousins partner was working there at the time they were looking for interns

ReputationRep:
    my cousins partner was working there at the time they were looking for interns
    Lucky you! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you! :p:
    i was lucky in that sense, but was still up against quite a high number of other candidates for the 2 intern places... but the job was bull****..opps is bull****..but its a really good stepping stone giving you better opportunities in the future.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.