Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically my textbook says after it explains what the limiting reagent is and how to find.

That "calculations must be based on the limiting reagent"

I really dont get what that means. I think it means that the amount product formed is due to the limiting reagent?

Please help me

ReputationRep:
    It means that when you calculate the amount of product which will form, you have to base it on whichever reaction will limit the reaction. So if for example you were making ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen:

N2 + 3H2 --> 2NH3

And you have:

N2: 0.1mol
    H2: 0.2mol

You would calculate the amount of product formed based on the amount of hydrogen, as that's the limiting reagent.

ReputationRep:
    Oh so basically the amount of product formed is based on the amount limiting reagent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Oh so basically the amount of product formed is based on the amount limiting reagent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yes.
    Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Thanks for the help!!!!!!!
    No problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.