Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to apply to Edinburgh University to study physics. I am above the minimum requirements but below the typical offer (just), and I've heard Edinburgh is very difficult to get into- would I be likely to get an offer?

-------------------------
    (SQA Highers)
    Typical: AAAA
    Minimum: AABB
    Me: AAABB
    --------------------------

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't offer a minimum if they didn't want you to apply. So i'd say go for for it. Also, if you've got a good personal statement, that might increase you're likelihood as to whether ir not they'll accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orax)
    I'd like to apply to Edinburgh University to study physics. I am above the minimum requirements but below the typical offer (just), and I've heard Edinburgh is very difficult to get into- would I be likely to get an offer?

(SQA Highers)
    If you have the predicted and required grades that meet the minimum and have a decent enough personal statement, there's no reason they shouldn't give you the offer. You should go for it.
    Either way, if that's where you want to study you should apply anyway. It's only one out of five of your choices, the worst that can happen is they decline you but at least then you'll know you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orax)

(SQA Highers)
    The minimum offer is reserved for contextual offers, so if you qualify for that, then there is no reason not to apply. Other than that, this is a risky venture, unless there is something else on your application to compensate for having below the standard offer. That said, Edinburgh's offering history is a bit of a mystery and it is only one aspirational choice out of five.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.