Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im looking for stores which pay above £5-6 an hour for part time jobs? Im aware that i may need to work my way up and that isnt a problem.. shall i work in retail like supermarkets or h&m as i could get discounts or should i work in shops like costa or other coffee shops? would i earn a lot from tips? my family isn't very rich and i am just trying to help out my dad alongside my a levels and i have a pretty good cv so could anyone else help me out with advice? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you got a job at Costa they would pay you around £6.?? however I imagine they would prefer experience in that field so if you don't have that it may be harder. Stores like H&M only really hire experienced staff from what I have seen and I don't know whether by a good CV you mean experience or grade wise. Stores like Tesco typically pay around £6 so they would be quite good and if the is an opportunity Waitrose pays well, especially if you work Sundays (time and a half).

If you want to get a higher paying job you could volunteer at a charity job to get experience before applying, unless you already have experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattR_0)
    If you got a job at Costa they would pay you around £6.?? however I imagine they would prefer experience in that field so if you don't have that it may be harder. Stores like H&M only really hire experienced staff from what I have seen and I don't know whether by a good CV you mean experience or grade wise. Stores like Tesco typically pay around £6 so they would be quite good and if the is an opportunity Waitrose pays well, especially if you work Sundays (time and a half).

If you want to get a higher paying job you could volunteer at a charity job to get experience before applying, unless you already have experience.
    thanks matt, i already have a year and a half experience working in a charity shop, but no experience in coffee lol so i'll try waitrose thanks! anyone else?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by zixd)
    Hey, im looking for stores which pay above £5-6 an hour for part time jobs? Im aware that i may need to work my way up and that isnt a problem.. shall i work in retail like supermarkets or h&m as i could get discounts or should i work in shops like costa or other coffee shops? would i earn a lot from tips? my family isn't very rich and i am just trying to help out my dad alongside my a levels and i have a pretty good cv so could anyone else help me out with advice? Thanks!
    Apply for as many jobs as you can. Being frank, you can't afford to be picky at 16/17 and unless you are really lucky, be prepared for multiple rejections as well. Also be aware that you can be legally paid £3.87 per hour, and some employers will pay you that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by zixd)
    I managed to get a couple of interviews with Costa on no experience, although I had to turn then down in the end. A guy I went to school with used to work in Costa as well and he had no other experience at the time. It's worth a go! Try and get a Christmas temp position in retail if you're struggling to find something as this will give you something to put on your CV and you may get offered a permanent job afterwards anyway. I did Christmas at HMV last year and got minimum wage, however they paid permanent staff more. You can't really be too picky, so just apply for whatever you think you can do. Even if you take something where you earn less for a bit while you gain the skills, experience, and reference to get something that pays a little more. Waiting jobs in cafes are easier to get at that age generally, as are pot washing jobs. Don't rule anything out!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.