Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you know that there are college traditions? Wen I was at castle in december some girl had her birthday. Anyway tradition at castle goes that you have to drink a yard of ale on ur birthday in the time it takes to sing a college song, I think it was 'floreat castellum' or howeva u spell that. Needless to say she staggared around the rest of the evening....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetSugar)
    Hehe, me either, they'll be a lot of partying going on on jan 24th in durham then! Yeah theres no way that there would be a neighbours society in an Australian uni, all my friends think its hilarious that Durham has one!
    I'm sorry....I've missed something here?! Durham has a Neighbours society?? I was fantasising during my questionnaire. This uni gets better by the day!
    PLease shed some light on this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    I'm sorry....I've missed something here?! Durham has a Neighbours society?? I was fantasising during my questionnaire. This uni gets better by the day!
    sorry laces, totally random, but i have just noticed yuo live in a pineapple under the sea - inspired!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Yep Durham sure does, for the first time this year according to dave You planning to join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetSugar)
    Yep Durham sure does, for the first time this year according to dave
    Apparently it was a St Johns JCR society that then switched over to DSU. You will have to look on their website for more details, its http://www.dur.ac.uk/neighbours.society

ReputationRep:
    Is it like other neighbours societies ive heard about where they only call u by a chosen characther name? Id be Di if thats the case, as she had lovely hair. Not that im a fan or anything........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    Not that im a fan or anything........
    oh no! perish the thought :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    Is it like other neighbours societies ive heard about where they only call u by a chosen characther name? Id be Di if thats the case, as she had lovely hair. Not that im a fan or anything........
    You would need to ask them directly! I am not a member myself.

ReputationRep:
    1 - Do you like ducks?
    Yes, as long as they don’t bite.

2 - What animal, fruit/plant or household object are you most like, and why?
    Phrase book: 3 foreign languages already and more to come soon.

3 - What’s your earliest memory?
    Of the fish tank in my bedroom where I lived until I was three.

4 - Which superpower would you most like to have?
    The ability to speak all languages, or failing that perfect gaydar.

5 - Why did you choose Durham and/or your college?
    Erm, I didn’t fancy Oxbridge as their language courses seem to be stuck in the 19th century. The first time I went to Durham it was raining, and even when it was raining I thought it was an amazing place. That’s a good sign for me.
    Hild Bede just looked like a barrel of laughs, and its relatively large size is a nice contrast relatively titchiness of the city itself.

6 - What’ll you miss most, when you leave home?
    Well, I have already left home really… I’m only back to visit for a couple of months. But I am leaving my turntables here in London, I shall miss those.

7 - Who’re you most upset about leaving behind?
    Ah, I’m just excited to be meeting everyone new!

8 - Do you have a gf/bf?
    Nope, single but open to a relationship. No, gay match-making services though please. I can find the homos for myself. ;-)

9 - Career aspirations?
    God knows (actually, I’m an atheist so in my mind he doesn’t have a clue either)! International Party Person (IPP)?

10 - Favourite: book / film / food / drink / colour / sport / ice-cream flavour / crisp flavour/ TV show / school subject / quote ?

Book: Trainspotting, as none of my mates in London understand the parts in Scots.
    Film: ‘Todo sobre mi madre’ (All about my mother), possibly. Almodóvar is brilliant anyway.
    Food: In Berlin, it was the mighty “döner kebap” .. but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to eat another kebab again now.
    Drink: So many to choose from! When clubbing vodka red bull is great, totally stupid drink though. One side is a depressant the other a stimulant… I’m sure it does the body wonders!
    Colour: Blue, or red. Red-blue.
    Sport: Swimming
    Ice-cream flavour: Chocolate, come on, it has to be chocolate!
    Crisp flavour: Salt and vinegar, god I missed that in Germany.
    TV show: ‘Six Feet Under’, ‘wa(h)re Liebe’ – Germany’s answer to Eurotrash.
    School subject: It was always the languages…

Quotes:
    Recent: “I am not a closet Tory”, Tony Blair. As my Dad said, “no, you’re an out and proud one, mate!”
    General:
    1) “Soyooz nerooshimi respooblik svobodnikh” (“Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics”) – first line of the Soviet National Anthem, for comedy value.
    2) “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche!”, usually translated as “let them eat cake”. Actually, it’s “let them eat brioche”, which is very nice fancy bread. Quite nice toasted and with some nutella…

11 - Reasons why you chose your course?
    Cos I have an unhealthy obsession with languages.

12 - Anything you’re scared of? (Both in relation to uni, or just fears in general)
    Spiders, though that is waning now.

13 - What’re you most looking forward to?
    “the university experience”

14 - Which subjects did you take at A-level?
    French (A), German (A) and History (A). Also did an AEA in German (Distinction). OK, I’ll stop showing off now. My spoken German has gone quite Berlin though, I must say, especially when talking to people in Berlin. For those who might be talking to me in German, don’t worry though: ick kann ooch Hochdeutsch, wenn dat sein muß!

15 - What’s your insurance offer?
    It was Bangor, lol. What was I thinking?

16 - Where’re you from?
    London (North-East). My mum is Scottish so culturally (and sometimes linguistically) I am quite Scottish too.

17 - Which single word best describes you?
    European

18 - Anything special you’re bringing with you?
    Mind your own business ;-)

19 - Hobbies?
    Travel, languages, film, dance music,

20 - Do you play an instrument?
    The clarinet but I haven’t touched one in a year. Used to be wicked on the recorder. Also did violin at primary, and piano for a while. But I’m best at singing… or mixing other people’s music on my decks.

21 - Are there any societies you’ll definitely be joining?
    German, French, Bede Film, LGBTA (not a soc, and you don’t ‘join’ as such... but I will be keen on their socials and clubbing trips). Sure there’s a 1001 other things I’ll join and then never go to.

22 - What’s your middle name?
    Mathew. But as I am calling myself Matt at uni, more relevant is my first name, Iain. Or ‘E’ to some of my mates.

23 - Red or green apples?
    Green. Granny smiths!

24 - Birthday?
    20th March.

25 - Whats your Zodiac Sign?
    Pisces. Hmm, maybe that’s why I don’t like eating fish?

26 - Do you have any siblings?
    Yes, a 16 year old sister.

27 - Favourite place on Earth apart from Durham?
    (East) Berlin.

28 - Estimated hangovers in the first two weeks of term?
    1 (a 336 hour long one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    You would need to ask them directly! I am not a member myself.
    lol, we belive you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.berlin)
    Colour: Blue, or red. Red-blue.
    Or in England, purple, as it is commonly known.

ReputationRep:
    I can find the homos for myself. ;-)
    lol, i found that funnier than i should have i think, seems we have a lot in common, our love of languages, i took AEA french and german, dont think i will get a distinction though¬!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    LOL, like it Valen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    lol, i found that funnier than i should have i think, seems we have a lot in common, our love of languages, i took AEA french and german, dont think i will get a distinction though¬!!
    A lot in common ehh zeitgeist... and just as i was beginning to believe you when you said you wernt interested in men, or bags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    A lot in common ehh zeitgeist... and just as i was beginning to believe you when you said you wernt interested in men, or bags.
    piss off valen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    No, no... red and blue mixed together, swirled up, but separate. Purple, come on, please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    piss off valen
    No pint for you then.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't allowed to take AEA French, as revenge for handing in my coursework late. Very odd woman my old French teacher, she thought it would be a real punishment for me that I wouldn't be able to sit an extra exam that had absolutely no bearing on my university offer whatsoever, for a subject I was going on to study at degree level anyway!

ReputationRep:
    No, no... red and blue mixed together, swirled up, but separate. Purple, come on, please!
    Palatinate purple? Very Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    No pint for you then.
    damn, oh matt, if you haven't met valen, he is sorta our resident comedian, but obviously without the funny element.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.