Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So valen what do u think of our plans to hoist u up or havent u read back that far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    men are very useful but i need women too, esp to talk about men (and b4 sumone sais homosexual men will do my mates seem to like smart men, i like scruffy 'real' men!).

There will be men on your course at any rate, and theres always Klute to pick one up!

I get the scruffy thing... although not as much as one of my friends. He likes the Indie look in a guy, but he was living in Belgium and no-one understood the concept of "Indie". So he was saying "smelly-looking". At that point I told him he needed to see a therapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    At least you know your going!
    Yeh! That's the great part of it all. I just want the day to come so fast and get it over with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceAS)
    i was supposed to go to st marys last year but I hated the open day so i backed out at the last minute and took a gap year and reapplied to hildbede (st marys had been my insurance offer and chosen in a bit of a rush). As i don't have a level results to worry about i'm still feeling quite chilled. Actually i'll be glad to get to uni as I am so bored at home. I just returned from three months travelling and am now pottering about the house, occassionally helping my dad (he works from home)-not exactly riveting!
    You hated the open day? oh no, howcome ? If it was just the all girls thing putting you off, then that's okay, 'cause I knew it would be all girls when I applied there, and I don't mind it (in fact, I like the idea).... was there anything else wrong with it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    You hated the open day? oh no, howcome ? If it was just the all girls thing putting you off, then that's okay, 'cause I knew it would be all girls when I applied there, and I don't mind it (in fact, I like the idea).... was there anything else wrong with it though?
    Out of interest, do you think its a good or bad thing that its going mixed. It sparked quite a debate, when the matter was being decided on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Out of interest, do you think its a good or bad thing that its going mixed. It sparked quite a debate, when the matter was being decided on
    I don't mind either way. I like that it won't be mixed when I start...then in my second year, when it does go mixed, I'll be living out anyway.
    I can't say I have any particularly strong feelings about it, as I'm not actually there yet.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind either way. I like that it won't be mixed when I start...then in my second year, when it does go mixed, I'll be living out anyway.
    I can't say I have any particularly strong feelings about it, as I'm not actually there yet.
    Yeh that's the right attitude! You get the best of both worlds anyway. btw, are you hoping for single or shared rooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Yeh that's the right attitude! You get the best of both worlds anyway. btw, are you hoping for single or shared rooms?
    I was told I'd have to share for one term...(or is it semester?...what's the difference between the two again?).....I just don't know if I'd prefer to share in my first term (which would have the advantage of having an "instant best friend" upon arrival)....or later, once I've got to know people, and can choose who I share with.

I think sharing a room could be fun (*says the only child, with no experience of sharing rooms*).

ReputationRep:
    I was told I'd have to share for one term...(or is it semester?...what's the difference between the two again?).....I just don't know if I'd prefer to share in my first term (which would have the advantage of having an "instant best friend" upon arrival)....or later, once I've got to know people, and can choose who I share with.
    Durham has 3 terms.

Some universities have taken the american system of 2 semesters, then exams. Durham has 3 equal terms, one of which happens to contain exams.

If you are shy and retiring, then sharing 1st term is a very good idea. If not, then it doesn't really matter. You might want to share 1st term, so you can guarentee a single room for exams.

If anyone really doesn't get on with their roomate, then tell the college, and they can normally sort something out.

ReputationRep:
    Durham has 3 terms.

Some universities have taken the american system of 2 semesters, then exams. Durham has 3 equal terms, one of which happens to contain exams.

If you are shy and retiring, then sharing 1st term is a very good idea. If not, then it doesn't really matter. You might want to share 1st term, so you can guarentee a single room for exams.

If anyone really doesn't get on with their roomate, then tell the college, and they can normally sort something out.
    Hmm...I'm not painfully shy or anything, but I do like the idea of having somebody to stick with when I first get there.....as long as it's somebody I get on with reasonably well. So, I might ask to share in my first term - if you get a choice that is....
    What about the rest of you?

ReputationRep:
    If I have to share, I would want first term, to get it out the way. I am still clinging on to a small ounce of hope that I can avoid being classed as a fresher anyway. You never know, it might work!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I'd prefer a single, but wouldn't mind sharing if my roommate is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I'm not painfully shy or anything, but I do like the idea of having somebody to stick with when I first get there.....as long as it's somebody I get on with reasonably well.
    I was thinking that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hmmm... I'd prefer a single, but wouldn't mind sharing if my roommate is lovely.
    At Trevs, international students don't have to share, or move rooms unless they want to. I would guess that Johns work on a similar basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I was thinking that too
    me too, but if they are totally different, it would make the home/uni transition harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    me too, but if they are totally different, it would make the home/uni transition harder
    I think they send questionaires dont they?

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to share with a person of the opposite sex? No thats not my mind running wild, i just wondered

ReputationRep:
    At Trevs, international students don't have to share, or move rooms unless they want to. I would guess that Johns work on a similar basis.
    OMG! That would be lovely Heee.. I feel privileged now. I really do like some privacy.. although I good roommate is a lovely thing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Is it possible to share with a person of the opposite sex? No thats not my mind running wild, i just wondered
    Generally no.

The exceptions are if you are a married couple!

or one year Trevs let a gay man and a woman share. He had to basically go to the college tutor and convince her that he was gay, before they were allowed to share.

ReputationRep:
    Generally no.

The exceptions are if you are a married couple!

or one year Trevs let a gay man and a woman share. He had to basically go to the college tutor and convince her that he was gay, before they were allowed to share.
    Woah!!! But why did she want to share with him? Friends?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.