Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sorry if this is on the wrong page, i just wanted to post anonymously.

I am about to begin my a levels (year 12) and i am feeling very worried and anxious about it all. I did very well at GCSE, but i can't shake the feeling that i am going to perform very poorly this year. I don't know why this is, because i work very hard so I'm capable (i hope) of doing well in my exams. I could just be sitting on the couch and then suddenly i become stressed and anxious, even though i haven't started lessons yet.

I wanted to ask for advice on dealing with these negative thoughts because the thought of failing could ironically be the cause of failing. I am really worried and despite choosing my courses with confidence after my results i am now beginning to question whether i have made the right decision.

I think the main cause of all of this was seeing posts regarding the difficulty of the subjects i will be studying i.e. Chemistry, Physics and Maths ("you will fail even if you work all day" or "i went from a* at GCSE to .... at a level), which has drastically reduced my confidence in my ability.

Really sorry for the long post, but i am desperate for any thoughts. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry if this is on the wrong page, i just wanted to post anonymously.

I am about to begin my a levels (year 12) and i am feeling very worried and anxious about it all. I did very well at GCSE, but i can't shake the feeling that i am going to perform very poorly this year. I don't know why this is, because i work very hard so I'm capable (i hope) of doing well in my exams. I could just be sitting on the couch and then suddenly i become stressed and anxious, even though i haven't started lessons yet.

I wanted to ask for advice on dealing with these negative thoughts because the thought of failing could ironically be the cause of failing. I am really worried and despite choosing my courses with confidence after my results i am now beginning to question whether i have made the right decision.

I think the main cause of all of this was seeing posts regarding the difficulty of the subjects i will be studying i.e. Chemistry, Physics and Maths ("you will fail even if you work all day" or "i went from a* at GCSE to .... at a level), which has drastically reduced my confidence in my ability.

Really sorry for the long post, but i am desperate for any thoughts. Thanks.
    Try not to worry yourself too much! I know how you feel, I really do. This was really bad for me a couple of years ago, and I'm feeling it again now. The best thing you can do is stay away from posts like that where you can, and find the successes! I also like to distract myself, or even just go on the college website and look at all the great things about it. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to something though so don't panic! Keep working hard and it'll pay off! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, if you feel the stress and anxiety a problem, I'd recommend letting tutors at your college know. This doesn't mean you'll have to go to the college's counselling services (although I'd recommend this, they can really help!) but having tutors that understand what you're thinking/feeling is a big help!
    The talk of 'I went from A* to...' is ********. It can happen, I had a friend who got lots of A's at GCSE and ended up dropping out of college, but I had friends who got very good results at GCSE and kept that up at A Level (one even got an unconditional offer to uni!). Personally, my GCSE grades weren't very good, but I did very well in my AS's and I'm on track to achieve Bs at A Level (which I'm proud of, considering my predicted grades are Ds). Don't let all that talk get to you.
    If you're really worried about not doing well, I'd recommend doing as many practice papers as possible, completing more homework than is needed, etc. I found that doing a practice paper every week gave me the confidence going into my exams that I wasn't going to be scared about the paper. Of course, you're still in the dark about what you're going to be tested on, but having the confidence that I knew how to handle the exam paper helped me loads!

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the replies. Hope you get your grades zara!

For some reason i can't rep you chelseadagg3r. Thanks very much though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.