Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Hoping someone can help, I am studying law with the Open University and am resitting two final modules, which would in turn give me a qualifying law degree.

However one of my final pieces of coursework was marked inadmissible as it was past the deadline and I was scored a zero which plunged my grades to an unreachable extent, that my minimum grade of a 2:2 was impossible (which is the minimum requirement to become a barrister).

I protested this with the University but they said nothing could be done, so my whole revision period was thrown into chaos as I felt it was all pointless and in the exams it affected me so badly, my scores were very low.

However after the exams were completed the University acknowledged that the key assignment had been sent in on time and would count towards my overall score.

When I asked if my resits could be uncapped, they declined saying I didn't present any evidence that I was affected by the wrong decision outcome, I then replied but I was told that this would be taken into account whilst the matter was being decided. In reply I was abruptly told that your old enough to know you should have contacted a different department and supply further evidence, I then submitted, that it is the University alone that holds all the evidence, I can't provide anything further.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on how likely it is I can get my exam resits which are in two weeks uncapped, is there any general rules? authorities on resits?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomReynoldsUK)
    Hi

Hoping someone can help, I am studying law with the Open University and am resitting two final modules, which would in turn give me a qualifying law degree.

However one of my final pieces of coursework was marked inadmissible as it was past the deadline and I was scored a zero which plunged my grades to an unreachable extent, that my minimum grade of a 2:2 was impossible (which is the minimum requirement to become a barrister).

I protested this with the University but they said nothing could be done, so my whole revision period was thrown into chaos as I felt it was all pointless and in the exams it affected me so badly, my scores were very low.

However after the exams were completed the University acknowledged that the key assignment had been sent in on time and would count towards my overall score.

When I asked if my resits could be uncapped, they declined saying I didn't present any evidence that I was affected by the wrong decision outcome, I then replied but I was told that this would be taken into account whilst the matter was being decided. In reply I was abruptly told that your old enough to know you should have contacted a different department and supply further evidence, I then submitted, that it is the University alone that holds all the evidence, I can't provide anything further.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on how likely it is I can get my exam resits which are in two weeks uncapped, is there any general rules? authorities on resits?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi,

Sounds like an awful situation!

I know from your message you've spoken to people at the uni, but have you gone through their formal appeals procedure?

If not, it would be worth going through this: http://www.open.ac.uk/students/chart...-procedure.pdf to make sure that you're within the timescales they give (28 days seems to be the norm from what I've read within it).

You might find it helpful to write a chronology of everything that has happened - when you submitted work, dates of emails / conversations you've had with staff at the OU - with a brief outline of what was discussed etc.

If you have any other supporting evidence (like submission confirmations), include these too.

It may well be a long process, but if you cannot get it resolved (and it goes as high as it can within their own procedures), you can escalate it further for an independent review.

I don't have experience with the OU, so I can't tell you how likely you are to getting it resolved or how far you will need to escalate it, but I hope you're able to get it sorted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.