Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

I'm now only going to use 3 of my choices for Medicine, and all BMAT schools, as I didn't see the point of doing UKCAT for only one medical school that I didn't have my whole heart in applying to. Planning on applying to Cambridge, Imperial and UCL as a mature student.

I'm also really interested in Radiography and Nuclear Medicine. I've been working as an Imaging Assistant in a hospital Radiography Department, so I'm thinking of using my other 2 choices for Radiography. The Medics and Radiographers I work with think I'd be good at whatever I decide go into, so that's reassuring, but I've never come across anyone who has ever done it this way!

I'm studying Chem, Physics, Biology at A-level, with predicted A*A*A, and I'm doing ok so far with BMAT revision.

I'm just worried that the Universities will think I can't make up my mind, even though I'm definitely committed, and will hopefully be able to vocalise this at interview. I just think that if the worst happens and I don't get any of my med choices, then I need to be doing something that I find really interesting for 3 years that'll either set me up for a good alternative career that I know I'll enjoy, or a good foundation for a shot at Graduate Medicine.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Thanks for any replies!
    Boo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightyboo)
    I'm just worried that the Universities will think I can't make up my mind, even though I'm definitely committed, and will hopefully be able to vocalise this at interview. I just think that if the worst happens and I don't get any of my med choices, then I need to be doing something that I find really interesting for 3 years that'll either set me up for a good alternative career that I know I'll enjoy, or a good foundation for a shot at Graduate Medicine.
    Putting everything else aside for now, when you apply through UCAS, your choices can't see your other choices. So the uni's won't know where else you've applied so won't think you can't make up your mind.

Obviously, your personal statement will have to be a medicine personal statement though. So the med schools shouldn't have any issues with your commitment as they won't know. The Radiology and Nuclear Medicine courses may let you submit an alternative PS to them. Or your medicine PS may actually work fine for those courses.

ReputationRep:
    That's made it a bit clearer! I didn't realise they couldn't see anything about my other choices
    In that case, I'll try and get creative with my PS, and try to write something that covers both!
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.