Turn on thread page Beta

laptop has a broken LAN port ( one of the pins had snap) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my Compeq Presario V3200++ laptops LAN port is broken...( one of the pins in the port is bent and snap). Can it be fix? do i need to replace the whole motherboard or just the LAN port needs to be replaced help...

ReputationRep:
    You can buy PCMCIA or USB Ethernet adaptors very cheaply. There is no point on fixing it as the cost will be around £100-£150+.

ReputationRep:
    so the LAN port can be replaced without replacing the motherboard?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you manage to get hold of a lan port block and your warranty has expired no you can't replace the lan port short of getting an external one.

ReputationRep:
    yep, just get a pcmcia lan card. (if you have a slot)

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/83821/rb/0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz_Hack_Rabbit)
    Unless you manage to get hold of a lan port block and your warranty has expired no you can't replace the lan port short of getting an external one.
    what is a lan port block? the prob is the Compaq says that if something is broken inside the laptop is not coverd by the waranty. only failed devices or parts they will cover...so i have to change the whole motherboard?

ReputationRep:
    no. as everyone else has said, you can buy an external PCMCIA card with a LAN port on, like in the post directly above yours.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to ask this question you certainly will not be replacing a laptop motherboard .

ReputationRep:
    They are extremely easy to desolder and resolder a new one on - however, there are many alternatives as already pointed out. The word your looking for is RJ45 rather than LAN port. Ebuyer should return usb to rj45 (although becareful with some of these as they often have very low speeds) or there are the PCMCIA slot cards as mentioned above - ensure your laptop has one of these ports (they are the slots about 40 x 5 mm on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubrits)
    what is a lan port block? the prob is the Compaq says that if something is broken inside the laptop is not coverd by the waranty. only failed devices or parts they will cover...so i have to change the whole motherboard?
    Not sure what your saying, on laptops to replace anything you need a new motherboard, I do believe compaq would replace if it is under warranty - ring them and ask, they can only say no at worse! look up their number on www.saynoto0870.com as warranty repairs aren't always freephone

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.