Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cutting carbs - will the weight just come back? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm cutting carbs massively, basically because my bodyfat is high, 20-25%.

i just want to see what it does, so far, it's looking pretty significant as I'm also burning 500 calories a day at the gym, whilst also maintaining no more than 1200 calories of food a day. Before you say I'm starving myself, I'm ensuring I'm kept 'full' and I don't feel like I'm starving myself.

I feel like I'm just using my excess fat from my body rather than drastically restricting myself, if you get me? And tbh, I feel more awake, particularly in the evenings when previously I'd eat a high carb meal and want to nap - this doesn't happen anymore.

Could anyone tell me what would happen when I start eating carbs again - i.e. brown rice? As long as I keep the portions a decent size, will the weight still come back as my body will crave the carbs? I've probably been doing ultra low carbs now for over a week and haven't felt too many side effects - I struggle to get out of bed but then I'm fine after that.

ReputationRep:
    You will gain some water weight but as long as you don't go over your maintenance calories you won't put on any fat

ReputationRep:
    Even a few carbs can knacker it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdFkPxxDG8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldusone)

i just want to see what it does, so far, it's looking pretty significant as I'm also burning 500 calories a day at the gym, whilst also maintaining no more than 1200 calories of food a day. Before you say I'm starving myself, I'm ensuring I'm kept 'full' and I don't feel like I'm starving myself.

I feel like I'm just using my excess fat from my body rather than drastically restricting myself, if you get me? And tbh, I feel more awake, particularly in the evenings when previously I'd eat a high carb meal and want to nap - this doesn't happen anymore.

Could anyone tell me what would happen when I start eating carbs again - i.e. brown rice? As long as I keep the portions a decent size, will the weight still come back as my body will crave the carbs? I've probably been doing ultra low carbs now for over a week and haven't felt too many side effects - I struggle to get out of bed but then I'm fine after that.
    Hi,

Well the things if you are still keeping in the calorie deficit you won't be gaining weight. I would say only consume carbs pre and post workout when you most need.

I have a slow metabolism when I was close to my show only times I had carbs was post and pre work out and a little bit in the morning.

However I did increase my fats

Just be careful you don't lose muscle because of the low carbs diet because sometime when you are low on carbs you body will eat into your muscle causing muscle loss.

So I would say you should be fine having it keep it moderate and track the calories

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to cut carbs at all. It will literally make water weight difference not fat loss difference, all you need to do is eat a caloric deficit to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldusone)

I did a low carb diet back at the start of 2015. Managed to lose 10kg in a month of doing so. The weight stayed off for a long time afterwards once returning to normal eating + drinking booze. I'd say I went about a year before it started creeping back up again.

18 months later and im back to the same weight as the start of 2015 so have begun the low carb diet again. Ignore those who say its just water and will instantly come back!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.