Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am extremely stressed out about beginning A-levels, I've only had my first day but and I feel so nervous about the rest of the year!
    I'm going to need A*AA to do the course I want at uni and for some reason I feel that's impossible?!
    I'm mostly scared about the independent aspect of it and having to research things myself...any advice on this please?? And just advice on how to keep up with the change?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to college or a sixth form because if it is sixth form, it's less independent than the teachers claim to be, well that's what my school was like. For the independent research you can read around the topic or watch some videos that are related to some of the topics you learn in school.
    Generally you should do one hour of studies at home for every hour you have in school so just review what you've done on that day. If you do that then it's not impossible
    Honestly, I don't have any advice on keeping up with the new change just because I went to a sixth form with people I already knew. Sorry about that.
    Hopefully my advice is helpful and good luck

ReputationRep:
    1) Give things time, you will settle in eventually after actually getting into the course. Try to worry to much about it at this point, focus on getting to know some decent people, meeting your teachers, these will help you later.
    2) Try to not think about your uni course constantly, if we all did that, most of us would fail as it is stressful and puts way to much pressure on people so leave this for A2 when it's actually important
    3) You have directed studies/free periods ? Try to allocate these on your timetable just like normal lessons then you will know exactly what to do and it will become second nature to study during these times later in the year. You have teachers who are more than willing to help you if you start to feel lost.

Pro Tip : to avoid feeling lost come exams, print off the spec now and slowly tick things off as you cover them, then you'll know exactly what you need to revise.

It is normal to be worried at this stage and simply shows you care, that is nothing to be ashamed about.
    All the best,
    I know you will be a success,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblewrap167)
    Are you going to college or a sixth form because if it is sixth form, it's less independent than the teachers claim to be, well that's what my school was like. For the independent research you can read around the topic or watch some videos that are related to some of the topics you learn in school.
    Generally you should do one hour of studies at home for every hour you have in school so just review what you've done on that day. If you do that then it's not impossible
    Honestly, I don't have any advice on keeping up with the new change just because I went to a sixth form with people I already knew. Sorry about that.
    Hopefully my advice is helpful and good luck
    I'm also with people I know thankfully, as that'd be something else to worry about! But you're advice was helpful, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    1) Give things time, you will settle in eventually after actually getting into the course. Try to worry to much about it at this point, focus on getting to know some decent people, meeting your teachers, these will help you later.
    2) Try to not think about your uni course constantly, if we all did that, most of us would fail as it is stressful and puts way to much pressure on people so leave this for A2 when it's actually important
    3) You have directed studies/free periods ? Try to allocate these on your timetable just like normal lessons then you will know exactly what to do and it will become second nature to study during these times later in the year. You have teachers who are more than willing to help you if you start to feel lost.

Pro Tip : to avoid feeling lost come exams, print off the spec now and slowly tick things off as you cover them, then you'll know exactly what you need to revise.

It is normal to be worried at this stage and simply shows you care, that is nothing to be ashamed about.
    All the best,
    I know you will be a success,
    Lee
    Thank you for the great advice, I'm feeling a lot calmer today and will be sure to take your tips into condsideration!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.