B1042 – Proper Language Bill 2016

ReputationRep:
    B1042 – Proper Language Bill 2016, Unown Uzer MP
    Proper Language Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

Ensure that only the appropriate language is used in the appropriate situation.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

(1) Definitions

(a) 'Appropriate language(s)' under the context of this bill shall be defined as the English language and English sign language.
    (b) 'Use' of language refers to language that can is communicated using visual, auditory, or tactile stimuli.

(2) Religious gatherings and places of worship

(1) No language other than the 'appropriate languages' may be used in religious gatherings or places of worship for more than five syllables in a row.
    (2) Any person found to have breached Section 2 subsection 1 shall be liable to a fine of £1000 for each and every offence and may not return to within 10 metres of the place of worship or religious gathering in which he has committed an offence.
    (3) Any person who makes references to religious text and/or the contents within such text, one or more deities, or any prophet must be a natural-born citizen of the United Kingdom and must use the 'appropriate languages' when doing so.
    (4) Any person found to have breached Section 2 subsection 3 shall be subject to a fine of £100,000, immediate deportation, and indefinite ban on entering the United Kingdom.
    (5) Religious institutions and places of worship shall not willingly allow any person who has breached Section 2 subsection 1 or Section 2 subsection 3 into their property and shall report such individuals to the police should they be found within the religious premises.
    (6) Any religious institution or place of worship found to have breached Section 2 subsection 5 shall be liable to a fine of £1,000,000. On the third violation, the religious institution or place or worship in violation shall be permanently banned from operating and the ownership of the land owned by the said religious institution or place or worship shall be transferred to the state.
    (7) The Home Office shall install surveillance cameras and voice recording devices in all property of religious institutions and places of worship, and shall be responsible for monitoring these religious institutions and places of worship from a live feed. In the event that a breach of any provision is discovered, the Home Office must arrange for the arrest of all offending individuals.

(3) Government, elected officials, and political parties

(1) Government officials may not use any language other than the 'appropriate languages' unless the use of non-'appropriate language' is necessary for administrative purposes and may not indicate any wish to violate the sovereignty and current composition of the United Kingdom.
    (2) Elected representatives may not use any language other than the 'appropriate languages' for more than ten syllables in a row and may not indicate any wish to violate the sovereignty and current composition of the United Kingdom.
    (3) Elected representatives found to have breached Section 3 subsection 2:
    (i) shall be deprived of their elected role on the third offence;
    (ii) shall be prohibited from standing in elections; and
    (iii) shall be prohibited from being within a 100-metre radius of the Palace of Westminster.
    (4) Political parties may not may not use any language other than the 'appropriate languages' for more than ten syllables in a row and may not indicate any wish to violate the sovereignty and current composition of the United Kingdom in their manifestos or in any official statement.
    (5) Political parties found to have breached Section 3 subsection 2:
    (i) shall be prohibited from standing in elections;
    (ii) shall be fined up to £1,000,000; and
    (iii) shall be deregistered as an official political party.

(4) Education

(1) No language other than the 'appropriate languages' may be used in any school, including but not limited to universities, for more than ten syllables in a row, unless the use of such language is necessary to fulfil the requirements of the curriculum or the course is a course on a foreign language.(2) Any person found to have breached Section 4 subsection 1 shall be liable to a fine of £1000 for each and every offence and may not return to within 10 metres of the school in which he has committed an offence.
    (3) Any school that teaches illegal content, or teaches content that violates the sovereignty, culture, and current composition of the United Kingdom shall be liable to a fine of up to £1,000,000 and closure within 30 days.
    (4) Schools have a responsibility to ensure that no school staff member breaches the provisions of Section 4 subsection 1.

(5) Commencement, short title, and extent

(i) This Act will come into commencement 90 days after Royal Assent.
    (ii) This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom.
    (iii) This Act may be cited as the Proper Language Bill 2016.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: nay.

ReputationRep:
    What a surprise, UU trying to attack the foreigners and Islam again, I guess all other minority religions too, and actually Catholicism for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    lol, get the **** outta here

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This is a free country, and if religious preachers want to speak in a non-English language then that's their prerogative, and the same goes for elected officials and political parties. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Also, given that this proposes to severely restrict freedom of speech, I will now bring this bill up whenever the author next attempts to use defence of British culture, values or traditions as an excuse for restricting Muslim immigration.

ReputationRep:
    So Welsh is unacceptable, or Scots Gaelic? What about Geordie words? Nay.

ReputationRep:
    A UKIP leader trying to oppress minorities. Tell me something new.

EDIT: And not only that, he's not-so-secretly trying to repress nationalist parties, and even for example the French Charles De Gaulle school in London.

ReputationRep:
    sigh

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know where to begin... I got to section 3 and just gave up. You don't really believe this do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    So Welsh is unacceptable, or Scots Gaelic? What about Geordie words? Nay.
    Well, I guess that's one good thing about it...

ReputationRep:
    Wth is this bakwaas. Nay u rat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....no.

ReputationRep:
    As I said in the sub forum I can't support of this bill ... instead of trying to punish minorities with harsh legislation we need to set up scheme s to help them integrate and to learn English ..... Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    As I said in the sub forum I can't support of this bill ... instead of trying to punish minorities with harsh legislation we need to set up scheme s to help them integrate and to learn English ..... Nay
    Who are you and what did you do with Hazzer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Who are you and what did you do with Hazzer?
    , I have came to believe that the best way to tackle extremism is to help support and to include them in a inclusive society that way this is no resentment by minorities towards the state etc ..however I do understand that some people will not integrate into society so more harsh options may be needed to deal with the few that won't

ReputationRep:
    okay so would you like the same thing put in to place in other countries, so that you will actually have to learn the local language before going there?

ReputationRep:
    When hazzer thinks it's too extreme, you know you've got a problem.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye because I'm a big ol' racist and cannot deal with anything outside of my comfort zone.

Nah mate.

ReputationRep:
    What sound do horses make?

Neigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous attempt to try and control speech. And it's not as though this does anything to discourage religious extremism. It's a bill seemingly borne of no more than a visceral hate of that which is foreign and religious.

There are no notes, which is a shame because it would have been nice to see some kind of justification for this bill.

All we get is

"Ensure that only the appropriate language is used in the appropriate situation"

which is a remarkably asinine pleonasm.

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.