Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My rent for the first term totals up to 2.8k and my first term loan only goes up to 2.5k. Which leavs me with practically no money to go out or to even buy food. I have no idea WTF to do.Is there anyone in the same position?? I think its pretty much just me in the position. Help pls
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhi22)
    My rent for the first term totals up to 2.8k and my first term loan only goes up to 2.5k. Which leavs me with practically no money to go out or to even buy food. I have no idea WTF to do.Is there anyone in the same position?? I think its pretty much just me in the position. Help pls
    Thanks
    Unless your parents earn under £25,000 a year student finance is meant to be a contribution to costs, not cover all costs. The system works on the assumption that parents will help out and make up the difference and you aren't the only one to face such a shortfall. You have two options
    1) Apply for cheaper accomodation- unless you are studying in London then £2.8k per term for rent is an awful lot.
    2) Get a job

You can also use a student bank account overdraft to cover small shortfalls.

ReputationRep:
    I get £140 a week (London) and my accommodation is £200+ a week so I know the issue.
    Can your parents/other family offer any form of help at all?
    Also, a part time job is going to be needed to help cover the rest. Consider also talking to your uni about any help they may be able to offer?
    ~As others said, your accommodation is pretty pricey even if it's London (mine's £8300 a year and that's one of the middle ground options, so not a cheap choice) so try to find a cheaper option~

ReputationRep:
    I have never understood how this happens

A why didn't you budget before

But my budget leaves me £80 a week after rent food and travel I really don't get it.

Also I'm in London and this is without parental help.

ReputationRep:
    couldn't you have applied for cheaper accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    Start by getting a student bank account with a large 0% overdraft, this will give you a bit of time to find a part time job.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of people whose loan doesn't cover accommodation, including myself, and I picked the cheapest accommodation, but I worked a full time job all of summer to save up because I knew I would struggle financially.
    Work out a budget that you can show to your parents and then they will be more likely to help you out if they know where the money is going For example, both me and my friends parents have said they will pay for food and textbooks but not alcohol and going out, which I would say is fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhi22)
    Thanks
    Get my a part time job like most students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    Get my a part time job like most students.
    Agreed, a 12 hour contract per week at somewhere like the coop, tesco, asda or any supermarket will get you around 80 quid extra per week which is definitely enough to live off per week if you budget. Plus 12 hours of work a week probably won't affect your studies if you manage your time properly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.