Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard on the wireless this morning of a woman who successfully sued the MoD for £484,000 (incl. £50k legal costs) of our hard-earned tax, because she had to leave her typing job as her thumb became sore and she got depressed.
    Meanwhile a soldier that loses a limb gets £57,000, or £8,250 if he/she gets shot.

Apparantly the rationale is that she lost the ability to earn, typing is all she knows, whereas a soldier can be re-trained.

Should the legal system be changed?
    Or should we all become serial litigants and make more money sueing employers than we get in wages?

ReputationRep:
    The legal system is a disgrace to humanity, quite frankly.

ReputationRep:
    You have a WIRELESS?! I thought they belonged to the 1950s and earlier...

ReputationRep:
    haha that just sounds pathetic....her thumb must have been really sore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    You have a WIRELESS?! I thought they belonged to the 1950s and earlier...
    Yes, I also have a radio telephone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I heard on the wireless this morning of a woman who successfully sued the MoD for £484,000 (incl. £50k legal costs) of our hard-earned tax, because she had to leave her typing job as her thumb became sore and she got depressed.
    Meanwhile a soldier that loses a limb gets £57,000, or £8,250 if he/she gets shot.

Apparantly the rationale is that she lost the ability to earn, typing is all she knows, whereas a soldier can be re-trained.

Should the legal system be changed?
    Or should we all become serial litigants and make more money sueing employers than we get in wages?
    You actually get 16k for a limb, the 57k figure is for both arms and legs. Meanwhile this women gets near half a million for a ****ing sprained wrist.

ReputationRep:
    here's the news report.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is really stupid - blaming others for your own stupidity and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mudblood)
    I think this is really stupid - blaming others for your own stupidity and the like.
    Is it stupid if you end up not working with nearly half a million ??

ReputationRep:
    It's not stupidity there - it's just plain laziness. I can't believe that people think they deserve this money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mudblood)
    It's not stupidity there - it's just plain laziness. I can't believe that people think they deserve this money.
    If you can get it, why not ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that you should be able to get it - that's the point.

ReputationRep:
    Joining armed forces you accept a degree of risk in that you expect you could be injured or killed.

RSI ie. NOT a sore thumb is a horrible thing to have and there's a clear responsibility of the employer to ensure that health and safety was maintained - clearly it was not. Go into any demanding office these days and you will see that they're hysterical about RSI prevention - in a recent office of mine laptops weren't allowed in meetings because the tables are the wrong height. I don't blame her for getting depressed and I don't think it's that surprising she gets more than a member of the armed forces for a more serious injury - I would be so angry if I did a non risky job but still my employer's inability to ensure health and safety standards resulted in a permanent RSI injury.

ReputationRep:
    maybe she has a good lawyer like shark for the tv show

ReputationRep:
    Except that Shark is a deputy District Attorney, not a Personal Injury lawyer

And why should you be given compensation for losing a limb or getting shot in the armed forces anyway? You know there is a degree of risk when you sign up. Surely that's what you get paid for

ReputationRep:
    why didnt they send some boys around to sort her out?
    Yep, compensation culture is all around us. Some guy lived in the same room for two years, did not ask for a transfer and now wants compensation of a years rent because he had so many problems with a matress! Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpinkuk)
    Except that Shark is a deputy District Attorney, not a Personal Injury lawyer

And why should you be given compensation for losing a limb or getting shot in the armed forces anyway? You know there is a degree of risk when you sign up. Surely that's what you get paid for
    For the same reasons you get compensation if you trip up in the office place, and no, they aren't being paid to lose limbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooseymcgoose)
    Joining armed forces you accept a degree of risk in that you expect you could be injured or killed.

RSI ie. NOT a sore thumb is a horrible thing to have and there's a clear responsibility of the employer to ensure that health and safety was maintained - clearly it was not. Go into any demanding office these days and you will see that they're hysterical about RSI prevention - in a recent office of mine laptops weren't allowed in meetings because the tables are the wrong height. I don't blame her for getting depressed and I don't think it's that surprising she gets more than a member of the armed forces for a more serious injury - I would be so angry if I did a non risky job but still my employer's inability to ensure health and safety standards resulted in a permanent RSI injury.
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine there was more to the case that the Daily Mail conveniently neglected to mention (as they like to do). Obviously I can't say for certain, but I can tell you that the courts aren't exactly liberal with their compensation awards a lot of the time, so the chance of someone receiving half a million quid for "just" RSI and depression is very, very, VERY unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Is she retarded or something? She's apparently in her 20s.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.