Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it neccesary to have work experience in the health care industry, prior to applying for medicine ? If not necesssary, then does it have any implications on the likelihood of achieving a place in the course ? I currently volunteer in a care home, hospital, charity shop and GP. Would that be sufficient ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylangarcia44)
    Is it neccesary to have work experience in the health care industry, prior to applying for medicine ? If not necesssary, then does it have any implications on the likelihood of achieving a place in the course ? I currently volunteer in a care home, hospital, charity shop and GP. Would that be sufficient ?
    I don't think it's necessary (not for glasgow anyway) but it is definitely expected. The majority of applicants will have at least a couple of days of shadowing doctors etc under their belts. Work experience is usually talked about quite a lot at interview.

What do you do at your hospital/GP volunteering? There's a chance that could replace work experience, as you may be learning similar things about the profession.

Try ringing up some hospitals and GP practices (maybe you have some contacts from your volunteering?) and see if you can find something. Your volunteering sounds like it may be beneficial enough to replace formal work experience, but some shadowing would definitely boost your application.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.