Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to help people with questions on the first year in sixth form, as I know how stressful this time can be. Sixth form life, results, stress, motivation, personal statements. Ask away and I'll do my best to help!
    All the best,
    Lee

I did business, geography, product design and I hate to say it, BTEC IT. Now I'm just about to start A2 business, geography, product design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hello TSR,
    I want to help people just starting their AS levels as I know how stressful these times are, ask me anything about the first year at Sixth Form. I'll be happy to help.
    All the best,
    Lee
    ohh can you help me then?

ReputationRep:
    if you apply to do volunteering for a few hours a week would you still be able to make studying work in addition to other extra carriculars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    ohh can you help me then?
    I'll try to help anyone as best I can with AS Level questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoushka221)
    if you apply to do volunteering for a few hours a week would you still be able to make studying work in addition to other extra carriculars?
    Hi! Sorry to jump on this post, but I thought I'd answer too.

I've just finished my AS year, came out with 4 As.

Alongside studying for those, I kept my horse who I care for daily, worked part time (2 jobs at one point), took on an EPQ, silver DofE and also some online courses in my chosen field that I decided to do. I also had a pretty decent social life throughout and went out most times my friends got together.

It can most definitely be done! Good luck 😊

ReputationRep:
    What subjects did you do in first year and how did you find them?

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to help anyone as best I can with AS Level questions.
    so the question relates to surds
    i tried to do it but its going long and long :lol:
    i just need a little help with the first step :emo:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  maths question.png
Views: 89
Size:  1.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Business - B, Product Design - B, Geography - A and IT - distinction* - Wish I pushed myself by picking harder A levels even though I got average results I feel if I was challenged more, I would have done better.
    Geography was my hardest subject and I got an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gold-Confetti)
    Hi! Sorry to jump on this post, but I thought I'd answer too.

I've just finished my AS year, came out with 4 As.

Alongside studying for those, I kept my horse who I care for daily, worked part time (2 jobs at one point), took on an EPQ, silver DofE and also some online courses in my chosen field that I decided to do. I also had a pretty decent social life throughout and went out most times my friends got together.

It can most definitely be done! Good luck 😊
    Its great to see someone else wants to help out, thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    so the question relates to surds
    i tried to do it but its going long and long :lol:
    i just need a little help with the first step :emo:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  maths question.png
Views: 89
Size:  1.8 KB
    Hi,
    I did not do maths at AS level so honestly wouldn't have a clue, what a great start to this thread.
    However on Wednesday my friend who does maths and further maths and got an A at AS will have a look and I'll get back to this then, unless if someone else can help ?
    Sorry as this really does not answer your question,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I did not do maths at AS level so honestly wouldn't have a clue, what a great start to this thread.
    However on Wednesday my friend who does maths and further maths and got an A at AS will have a look and I'll get back to this then, unless if someone else can help ?
    Sorry as this really does not answer your question,
    Lee
    ummm its okay
    i can figure it out :yep:

ReputationRep:
    While I'm here I might as well continue to answer. It seems I've adopted this thread haha!
    I did:
    History, English Literature, Psychology and Law.

I found them to be really quite enjoyable. English literature I had some problems with because I hated 50% of the content and one of my teachers wasn't great. However, I'm looking forward to A2 and a cracking Shakespeare unit. Word of advice, if your school is with edexcel for Lit, RUN. 28 poems is so unnecessary.

History I absolutely adored. We studied the Henry II and the USA post civil war up to about 1920 this year. Angevin/ medieval has turned out to be a real passion of mine, and my teacher is great. USA, not so much. The workload is heavy, but I enjoyed it so that wasn't a problem. However, I think the style you have to write your answers in is a bit confusing at first. I quite struggled for a few months and then halfway through the year the penny just dropped for me and my marks shot up from mediocre 15/25 and things, to full marks!

Psychology isn't exactly my cup of tea. It's a bit interesting but it's just not my favourite. However, I do find it very easy/ straightforward because my memory is good which serves me well for those exams. Although a lot of people do really struggle with the colossal content, despite the fact most of it isn't too complex.

Law is a strange one. I truly love it and I'm dead set on pursuing it on to uni. However, the more I learn about law as an academic discipline, the more I realise why law is regarded as a soft subject at A Level. Half of the AS level is more or less irrelevant for anything except background knowledge. It's essentially memorising and regurgitating facts. Therefore it's quite simple. Unit 2 is much better, because case law and legislation is introduced, which makes it much better for me as a law junkie, but many find those hard to learn and a bit dry. Also, units like EU law have concepts that a lot of people struggle to grasp. Its still great though of course, not to defile my own subject hah!

Just to add context, I just got As across the board while juggling various things, and attending a sixth form 1hr 30mins away from me each day. I found the workload very bearable, and the content enjoyable. I still had time to do other things, including extra work and optional qualifications. I'm also continuing all 4 on to A2. A levels are honestly not the hell that everyone makes them out to be!

(Except Edexcel English Lit. That Course is damn right nasty)

I hope this helps! Good luck! 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I picked history without doing it at GCSE and was wondering if I would be able to cope seeming as I got a C in English language and A in English lit?
    Well I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that, but I think it depends greatly on how much work you put in, how good your teacher is, and how well you're aiming to do. I did GCSE history in year 9, (age 13) so it'd been a while since I'd studied that subject when I started the a level.

It's a bit disorientating, but if you manage to grasp the writing style, it'll become easy. While it's an essay subject, it's also hugely memory based too. Focus on recalling the facts for a bit, and ask for help picking up the style if you're struggling. I think it will be a bit harder for you, because some of the skills are the same, but then again, I do think you stand a chance of doing really well regardless. You should be able to get Cs and Bs without a developed skill set, but I'm Afraid achieving full marks and the like will be a bit of a challenge for you.

From what I see, there's a massive correlation between As/ A*s in History and English at GCSE and people who do well at A Level.
    For example, I got an A in history and an A* in both my English GCSEs, 2 of my friends also did well in English (although less so in history) and we are some of the people who got As this year.

If you work hard, there is no reason you shouldn't excel no matter what.
    Good luck! 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.