Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it normal to be 20 and depressed watch

Announcements

Meverythings going downhill I don't wanna talk to no one I'm antisocial

ReputationRep:
    Hey what's up ; it's certainly not ' normal ' to be depressed but you're certainly not the only person your age feeling this way

Hi my uncle died yesterday and lot of other things

ReputationRep:
    You can't really expect us to help you if you're gonna be brief like that. What "other things" ?

ReputationRep:
    Its okay to feel sad sometimes but prolonged sadness isn't normal.. if that is the case go to your doctors xx

mums gambling addiction

Yeah I should I've been like this since I was 15 over some stupid girl xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Meverythings going downhill I don't wanna talk to no one I'm antisocial
    Hey. It's common for people of any age to feel really down for a while and although it really sucks, it usually passes within a few weeks and can be helped a lot by giving yourself some space and time and by talking through how you feel with somebody you trust or a trained counselor or therapist.

It is also common for people of any age to become depressed. 1 in 4 people will suffer depression at some point in their life infact. This usually lasts longer and can be more serious. It tends to build up over time rather than go away and although things like giving yourself space or taking time to do things you enjoy may help, it is also very possible that nothing will seem to help. You may feel like you will never be any better and this is just what life is for you now. That is not true! It can get better and there is help out there for you (most important is doctors).
    Although you'll probably just want to hide away from the world and avoid talking about it it is helpful to get it out and talk to people. Your doctor is a really good person to talk to and they can suggest treatments like therapy or counseling and in some cases medication. It is a lot easier to get help before things spiral out of control, but it is never too late.

Judging by all the things that seem to be going on in your life right now it's no wonder you're feeling like this. Grieving can last a long time, but that doesn't mean you have to just sit back and live with it- you can get help. It can be especially hard to overcome things like grief if there are other stresses going on in your life and sometimes those issues can feed off eachother and keep making things worse and worse until they themselves are not the main issue anymore. If you feel like this is a possibility for you, you could seek out some help. It can help you untangle everything that's going on and also help you to manage new issues and ensure other things don't end up adding to the pile.

I would suggest you take a look at Mind.org for some information and consider seeing a doctor or counselor. My life seemed hopeless after my grandparents died for years until i eventually saw a doctor and from there things have been looking up and I've never felt that hopelessness that was so constant before again.

Depression is common you know I'm not the only one, things will get better with time and that im only 20 got grey hair shows I've been through hell, its a lot to process everything takes time, there's a lot of things I regret from the past, yeah I should see a doctor about my problems btw thanks for the website nothing's too late thanks a lot

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.