Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)

Why does everyone think the tahoe is such a bad vehicle? It is biased towards on road driving, but it has a low range transfer case, 4wd, body on frame construction, and can tow 7000+ lbs. Just because clarkson says it's rubbish? Clarkson also said the corvette had a vietnamese suspension.
    I think its a pile of crap because I've driven one. My fiance is an american and insists on driving yank tanks. Before she had her Pontiac Grand Prix GT she had a chevvy tahoe. LHD too. That was er... "interesting" to drive through Coleshill I can tell you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I think its a pile of crap because I've driven one. My fiance is an american and insists on driving yank tanks. Before she had her Pontiac Grand Prix GT she had a chevvy tahoe. LHD too. That was er... "interesting" to drive through Coleshill I can tell you!
    Fair enough. I'm so used to driving the defender, all trucks feels like a rolls royces in comparison! The Tahoe was all new for 2007 and i has rack and pinion steering and now handles a lot better than it did with the old recirculating ball steering setup.
    I think the Grand Prix is kind of alrightish for the money though. I used to sell them at a car dealership. £11,000 is what you pay in this country for a new one. That's really not a lot of money for a car of that size with a V6 engine.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like her GP GT. Its black with grey interior. Autobox isnt very inspiring though.. its a bit sloppy. Think they do GP's with an 8 cylinder now.

ReputationRep:
    Not really adding to the conversation here, but I just want to say that I would absolutely love to have a used US military humvee.

ReputationRep:
    its a symbol of all that is wrong with america and american attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    its a symbol of all that is wrong with america and american attitudes.
    Thanks. Hope you are enjoying your 1.0 liter diesel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Not really adding to the conversation here, but I just want to say that I would absolutely love to have a used US military humvee.
    What's a shame is they aren't making the civilian version of the humvee anymore for public consumption. The H2 and H3 are just for poseurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I quite like her GP GT. Its black with grey interior. Autobox isnt very inspiring though.. its a bit sloppy. Think they do GP's with an 8 cylinder now.
    They do and it's one of the few cars you can buy with 300+ horsepower for less than 30,000 dollars. The most amazing thing about the car is how well they've managed to put all that power through the front wheels. I'd rather have a car with a small block V8 powering the rear wheels. For some reason, wheelspin at the rear always feels gratifying, but at the nose it just feels cheap.

ReputationRep:
    They do and it's one of the few cars you can buy with 300+ horsepower for less than 30,000 dollars.
    Don't think we had anything that cheap, but the Vauxhall Monaro is probably one of the best value for money cars I can think of that's been on sale in the UK, mainly 2nd hand because they lose so much value in the first year or so, after which they seem like a bargain - think you can get an early one for under £15k now. THey made a 500bhp version just before production ended too. Just to be replaced here with the 4dr VXR8 which has even more power for only £35k... (which I think it was originally based on a Holden Commodore?)

ReputationRep:
    Show me any American car you can pick up for £3500 with zillions of airbags, EDS, ABS, 140bhp and will go round corners at 90mph safely.

Tom all them cars are based on a Holdon, (sold as a Vauxhall Omega over here). They were also sold as a caddies and are dubbed as the only cadialic in history to able to go round corners.

I really really hate American cars, I just find them pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Show me any American car you can pick up for £3500 with zillions of airbags, EDS, ABS, 140bhp and will go round corners at 90mph safely.

Tom all them cars are based on a Holdon, (sold as a Vauxhall Omega over here). They were also sold as a caddies and are dubbed as the only cadialic in history to able to go round corners.

I really really hate American cars, I just find them pointless.
    Well, I've owned several porsches and now have a 2005 Lotus Elise coming out of warranty, so I need to decide what to do next. I drove a 2007 Corvette and the car really blew my mind. It was fast, handled very well, looked great and was priced like a bargain. I'm very tempted to trade in the Lotus for one. I used to believe in all that elitist crap about cars from Europe being superior and that's why I only ever owned a car that wasn't european.
    I came to the dealership with my father in a 2004 porsche 911 GT3, and honestly, I thought the Corvette was faster than the GT3 and this wasn't even a Z06, it was the standard model, with a performance exhaust. Sure, the 911 felt maybe a little more nimble, but where do they get off charging over double the price?
    I think the Americans are really onto something. Some people want a 200 mph sportscar, but aren't millionaires. They have the status, but I never bought a car for what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    Don't think we had anything that cheap, but the Vauxhall Monaro is probably one of the best value for money cars I can think of that's been on sale in the UK, mainly 2nd hand because they lose so much value in the first year or so, after which they seem like a bargain - think you can get an early one for under £15k now. THey made a 500bhp version just before production ended too. Just to be replaced here with the 4dr VXR8 which has even more power for only £35k... (which I think it was originally based on a Holden Commodore?)
    It's interesting how different the prices are in Europe. £15k for a used one? The Vauxhall Monaro was sold as the Pontiac GTO in the US and it was the equivalent of £15k when it was brand new, and we thought that was overpriced. The US magazines were always running tests of it against the Ford Mustang GT, which was 20% cheaper and had all the visual excitement the Monaro lacked. So, of course, the mustang would clean it's clock in all the enthusiast magazines. The Monaro wound up selling very poorly while the Mustang stole the show.
    For some reason, the prices of US cars are all wrong in Europe and they are priced against cars they were never intended to compete with. I wish you had the prices we had....I mean, could you imagine how many cars we would sell to the Europeans if we could give them a 300+ HP V8 for only £13,000 right of the showroom floor?

ReputationRep:
    There is really no alternative to the Monaro in that price-bracket, or below here, or at least I can't think of anything off the top of my head....

Apparently DaimlerChrysler sell 2004 LHD Viper SRT-10s here officially for £70k, but only 2 or 3 are bought every year... I'd have thought if there were more American cars in the UK with prices that undercut European cars more people would buy them, but alot aren't designed for UK roads and if prices are similar i'm sure people will continue to choose European instead, and the new car or brand will struggle to establish itself

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Hope you are enjoying your 1.0 liter diesel.
    1: Its a 1.1
    2: Its a petrol
    3: The word is 'litre'. Butcher.
    and yes, I am enjoying it far more than I would if I had a 3 ton faux military vehicle on an awful chassis and with a ropey engine that screams 'I am trying to hide my sexual inadequacy with a huge truck that makes me feel manly' I'm fairly sure my 1.1 petrol would **** on a hummer when it approached that most European of things - the corner!

ReputationRep:
    The europeans like switches that feel good quality etc. The american cars are much cheaper because they are made cheaper. They lack the qualility details and europeans don't like that.

ReputationRep:
    Which is why the No.1 rep mobile is a Ford Mondeo, an american car...

Or Vauxhall Vectra owned by GM, an amercan company.

ReputationRep:
    But the Mondeo was mostly designed in Europe and was later introduced in the USA.

Pretty much most of GM/Ford's world cars are designed in Europe like the Focus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I read the Mondeo wasn't particularly successful in the US and they stopped producing it at the end of what we know as the Mk2 Mondeo because it was designed with European drivers/roads in mind? Wasn't it called the Contour in America?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, the problem was it was too small but too big to be small for American tastes. It was mostly a four pot so was classed as a compact car so the yanks just preferred the smaller Focus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    The europeans like switches that feel good quality etc. The american cars are much cheaper because they are made cheaper. They lack the qualility details and europeans don't like that.
    Yeah, but how much is a switch worth to you? I should spend another fifty thousand dollars on a car because the switch makes a nicer clicking sound? Sometimes i wonder if european automakers have completely, as the Brits say, lost the plot. The gt3 engine is made from titanium and all kinds of exotic materials and the small block chevy v8 in this corvette I drove embarrassed it in throttle response, flexibility and torque

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.