Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is about class, we know that power is only a tiny part of the what makes a good car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    1: Its a 1.1
    2: Its a petrol
    3: The word is 'litre'. Butcher.
    and yes, I am enjoying it far more than I would if I had a 3 ton faux military vehicle on an awful chassis and with a ropey engine that screams 'I am trying to hide my sexual inadequacy with a huge truck that makes me feel manly' I'm fairly sure my 1.1 petrol would **** on a hummer when it approached that most European of things - the corner!

Wow, aren't you a lucky *******! 1100 CCs in something you don't use to mow your lawn

ReputationRep:
    Me and the lads took my mates 1.1 Fiesta out the other day on the open country roads, yes it only had 49bhp but we got it up to 85mph with ease and it went round corners surprisingly well indeed. We joked that they used the same suspension setup in the latest Mustang but I don't think the joke was that far from the truth .

The fact is when a car weighs 850kg you don't need a lot of power to make it go. I am not a fan of the Metro but just look at the 1.4 K series version, I would bet £50 that it would beat a mustang round a rally track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    It is about class, we know that power is only a tiny part of the what makes a good car.
    Well don't think the snob appeal factor is lost on me. The reason i've had so many european brands till now is because i've fallen victim to the class argument for so long.

Still, all I can think about after driving that corvette is the ridiculous power and noise. The lotus elise is in the shop getting a new steering rack and it should be ready in two hours. The warranty was up six days ago and I don't think I want it anymore with no warranty, so maybe I'll be cruising in a vette in a few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Wow, aren't you a lucky *******! 1100 CCs in something you don't use to mow your lawn
    My car weighs about 700KG. you don't need a huge engine to power everything, all that leads to is war crimes and destruction.

ReputationRep:
    My car weighs about 700KG. you don't need a huge engine to power everything, all that leads to is war crimes and destruction.
    So we solve all the worlds problems by driving 1.1ltr cars because they sip petrol...right. So that is where world leaders, top scientists and really clever guys have been going wrong all these years they have not listened to the simplistic and idealistic crap you spout out! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i was having an iraq dig. I don't mind big engines, just sticking a stupidly inefficient huge bengine in a glorified tank shell, on a chassis that doesn't really go off road well, then selling it in big ass nissan huts seems crass and arrogant. Give me a V8 sports car over a hummer any day thank you. H1 is fine, but H2 and H3 really serve little other purpose than to be a status symbol and a penis extention.

ReputationRep:
    "Your car, it's a V8, that's leading to war and destruction!!!!!11111oneoneone!"

ReputationRep:
    i was having an iraq dig. I don't mind big engines, just sticking a stupidly inefficient huge bengine in a glorified tank shell, on a chassis that doesn't really go off road well, then selling it in big ass nissan huts seems crass and arrogant. Give me a V8 sports car over a hummer any day thank you. H1 is fine, but H2 and H3 really serve little other purpose than to be a status symbol and a penis extention.
    It is crass and arrogant to to tell people what they can and can't buy though. I'm not saying this is what you are arguing, but it does frighten me hearing some of the things politicians in Europe say. The Hummer H2 is not really my cup of tea, but I don't have to buy one if I don't like it. That's what so great about our economic system, right? We are free to get our jobs, work as hard as we want and spend our money as we see fit. I'm a little tired of the pencil sharpener engine of my Lotus and want to buy a Corvette with a real engine instead and that's my choice. If someone gets turned on by a Hummer, they can go buy one, pay the higher fuel bills and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, its your choice and you are perfectly entitled to make it, and if the taxation system worked, you would be able to guilt free!

ReputationRep:
    Which was completely irrelevent to the topic at hand and a cheap slide. Nice one.

But if people want to have a status symbol and a penis extension...nothing should stop them from doing so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    "Your car, it's a V8, that's leading to war and destruction!!!!!11111oneoneone!"
    Im thinking I just got blamed for the war in iraq now!
    Thats a hell of a guilt trip to put on a guy. :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen the good the bad and the ugly by clarkson, he's link to the Range Rover vs H2 vs Escalade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXiONdWHnZM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    has anyone seen the good the bad and the ugly by clarkson, he's link to the Range Rover vs H2 vs Escalade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXiONdWHnZM
    It looks like the driver of the escalade deliberately tried to get it stuck. I don't know exactly what happened because the camera crew didn't film the driver wedging it intot he side of a mountain. The escalade isn't really designed for the rough stuff anyway. It's missing the low range transfer case you get on other full size GM SUVs. As for the Hummer, they never explained why it stopped moving. I think a lot of the tests Clarkson did were rigged so european cars would win. He doesn't like the US and clearly states that he hates it when the cameras have barely started rolling. He compares cars that aren't meant to compete with one another at different price points.

The range rover clarkson was in has a 6-figure price tag. It's a nice SUV...I know because my parents have a 2006 Range Rover. It's very nice, but it's also very expensive. If Clarkson wants to throw price out the window, he should compare Europe's pricey 4X4 to an Hummer H1 alpha, which is based on the humvee the US military uses. The Alpha came with a 520lbs-ft duramax diesel and a 6-speed allison transmission, but he would rig the test and say that it lost anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Im thinking I just got blamed for the war in iraq now!
    Thats a hell of a guilt trip to put on a guy. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Its ok JC, i like your V8

ReputationRep:
    the hummer asn't designed for serious off roading it's and SUV so when it tried to climb the slope on a low tank of fuel the fuel ran away from the pump and starved the engine of fuel, thats why it stopped. i think he says th escalede tryed to climb a slope and because its got road tyres it slipped and then rolled down and got stuck, i know this becasue i got eh extended DVD. you gotta like the way he stops and picks up some rubbish, he acts like a prat buts he's a good guy really. saying that im not in favor of a range rover, i personally want a smart car. but all the people who live near me and need cars with off road capabilities ie: farmers. buy land rover and range rovers even through they are more expensive. as for price i think what he's tryin to show, i admit not very well, is that american cars the claim to be a good as the european equivilant are actually crap of perfomance, and they are cheaper due to lower build quality. and he's not completely anti US, he did own a ford GT. and he gave the corvette a load of praise on top gear, also on top gear he will normally do anything to put down geramn cars such as the BMW M5 which he hated. in conclusion most people who own H2 are rappers and prats, if you want an off roader you wouldn't buy a H2.
    That DVD was a complete mess. All of the fact were wrong on it. He raced a 6 cylinder mustang against a horse and told the audience it was a V8 and he never mentions that the mustang is a car we can buy for £13,000. Put the mustang on a track with a £13,000 european car and a guarantee the mustang will demolish it. In fact, he never talks about price at all in the video. I think you'll find that when prices are the same and you are comparing apples and apples, the US cars put up a decent fight. That Lotus Exige S that was racing against the roush mustang should have been racing against something different, maybe something with 2 seats that was designed more for a racetrack. The 57,000 dollar price of the Exige S puts it right between the price of a standard Corvette with 436 bhp for 2008 or a 505 hp Corvette Z06, both of which will destroy the Lotus on all but the tightest tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    That DVD was a complete mess. All of the fact were wrong on it. He raced a 6 cylinder mustang against a horse and told the audience it was a V8 and he never mentions that the mustang is a car we can buy for £13,000. Put the mustang on a track with a £13,000 european car and a guarantee the mustang will demolish it. In fact, he never talks about price at all in the video. I think you'll find that when prices are the same and you are comparing apples and apples, the US cars put up a decent fight. That Lotus Exige S that was racing against the roush mustang should have been racing against something different, maybe something with 2 seats that was designed more for a racetrack. The 57,000 dollar price of the Exige S puts it right between the price of a standard Corvette with 436 bhp for 2008 or a 505 hp Corvette Z06, both of which will destroy the Lotus on all but the tightest tracks.
    I've got the DVD (well, downloaded it) and can't fault you on any of that. Although, Clarkson is not exactly renowned for his logic or fair testing when it comes to cars - he's more interested in entertainment value. Which is fine, but what he says has to be taken with a (huge) pinch of salt. Still love him though!

ReputationRep:
    What engine do the latest corvettes come with? LS7 V8 isnt it?
    Hardly call that "old"

ReputationRep:
    The LS7 is a much better engine. its smoother and comes with something like 700bhp if you buy it as a crate engine. Thats a lot.
    Even LS1's come with about 450 out the box.

Theres no replacement for displacement.

ReputationRep:
    you keep going back to the price argument. american cars are only cheap because they not built to last, they're flimsy and cheap plastics all the way, and just use old engines in new cars. for 57,000 you can get a bmw M3 or and Audi RS4 they would destroy even a corvette Z06. and face it no car even for 13,000 should be beaten by a horse, also the interior, and ride is rubbish so if it hasn't got perfomance what has it got.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Instead of listening to Clarkson who knows nothing about cars, you should go drive some of these vehicles. If you even have a license.
    BMW M3 or Audi RS4? Did you know a Z06 Corvette turned in a faster lap time at nubergring than a pagani zonda?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.