Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    That DVD was a complete mess. All of the fact were wrong on it. He raced a 6 cylinder mustang against a horse and told the audience it was a V8 and he never mentions that the mustang is a car we can buy for £13,000. Put the mustang on a track with a £13,000 european car and a guarantee the mustang will demolish it. .
    Unfortunately, what you can get for £13,000 is alot different to what we can buy here for £13,000, and I think the UK is worse value than alot of other European countries too. That price would probably buy you an average spec new 1.6 Focus at best here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    505bhp actually which is poor when you consider its a 7 litre, a lambo lp640 kicks out 640bhp from a 6.5 litre, but then they have gone the whole nine yards and it shows in the price
    So what if that 7 liter v8 is smaller (externally) and lighter than many engines displacing 3.5 liters? The small block is a very compact design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    Unfortunately, what you can get for £13,000 is alot different to what we can buy here for £13,000, and I think the UK is worse value than alot of other European countries too. That price would probably buy you an average spec new 1.6 Focus at best here.
    But who compares cars with no regard to price? Clarkson's entire DVD never mentions price, making it one of the most pointless DVDs ever made. It's entertaining, but entertainig in ways that clarkson never intended it to be.

Even taking account the poor value you're getting in the UK, there is still no European car at £13,000 that I can buy with a 300 HP V8. That's what's so wonderful about cars like the mustang. Even someone completely broke can enjoy V8 sound and fury. To criticise it for not being as refined or sophisticated as cars costing twice as much misses the point completely.

ReputationRep:
    fair point. covettes are moving in the right direction. clarkson did say this was true on the part of the DVD on the corvette, however the Z06 was reallt noisy and the ride was bad. if you look at the specs its basicly designed to be at semi-race standard which means it competes against things like the Evo FQ. now that car is only £33,000 so its roughly the same price as a Z06,both completly impractical for everyday use and both designed to a semi-racing spec which car is faster, which car has 4 seats and is a saloon and which car has a 2 litre engine in comparision to a 7 litre?
    I don't know what to tell you other than that you can't use an idiot like this guy to win any kind of argument. Clarkson is the only journalist to ever argue that the Z06 rides worse or is nosier than other performance cars. So who are you going to listen to, Clarkson, or the 100s of other reviews making opposite claims?

"Those in the Porsche camp say there’s no better thrill than the GT3 at redline, but the Z06 fans quickly counter that the Z06 was not only faster than the GT3 but also the most comfortable street car of the three, with an acceptably supple ride and relatively low interior noise levels"
    - Car and Driver

ReputationRep:
    505bhp actually which is poor when you consider its a 7 litre, a lambo lp640 kicks out 640bhp from a 6.5 litre, but then they have gone the whole nine yards and it shows in the price
    What the clucking bell is this fixation people have with hp vs capacity???
    Do you know what 500bhp feels like? It is ENOUGH of this I can assure you. I couldnt give a toss if the engine producing the power is 3.5 litres or 9 litres
    500bhp will hurt. Heck 350/tonne will scare the majority of people!

Crate engine headers and plenums are crap. With some subtle mods you can add another 50bhp to those figures without even removing a rocker cover.

ReputationRep:
    as for the corvette setting a faster time in germany than the pagani zonda who was that confimed by and who tested the zonda, probably chevy. my point with the 7 litre is that for a car with that size of an engine its stats don't look like a 7 litre car its engine and torque match that of the ferrari 599 which has 100bhp more, and the engine is 1.0 smaller and that is car that you could use every day, unlike a bumpy corvette.
    Fizzel, I don't think you are old enough to drive, so I'll enlighten you. In the real world, a large displacement engine is always better than a small displacement engine.

This is a comparison between the M5 engine and the Corvette Z06 engine.
    In the real world of traffic jams and stop and go city driving, which engine do you think works better? Which engine do you think feels faster?

Before you get into the whole HP per liter arguement, keep in mind that the Z06 engine is 150 lbs lighter and a lot more compact, more fuel efficient, and inherently more reliable.

ReputationRep:
    The corvette clearly cant get the power down.
    The LS7 is a better engine by miles.

ReputationRep:
    90 ftlbs is miles in the real world.
    I know a guy with an LS1 engine installed in a Ford cortina capable of doing 9 second standing quaters. This engine makes 750bph at the wheels.
    The LS7 is a hugely updated version of an LS1. Stage 2 heads on an LS7 will give over 900bhp. These engines are capable of RELIABLY delivering 2000bhp with enough money put into them.

Dont **** with chevvy. I say again. it is a better engine by MILES.

ReputationRep:
    i don't pretend to know everything about cars , my opinions are only opinions, i have only every driven 2 cars in my life and niether of them had more than 200bhp. i bases my opinions on a collection of other peoples opinions an what i can see for myself. as for the two engines you compare bhp they are almost the same and torque is better on the Z06, but the 0-60 time is only a second slower so the BMW is obviously using all its power, as you say the vette is also lighter, but as for reliability being better on the vette thats just crap, i actually started to think you knew what you were on about, but ask anyone who knows anything about cars and they will tell you the are are very few cars that are more reliable than the german cars, toyota, and mitshubishi yes but apart from that. and as for displacement any idiot can see that the bigger engine is capable of more producing more power. and i would say in traffic the M5 would be smoother, and better made, even if the fuel economy is crap, it is a large 4 door sedan. the Z06 is a good car for the money but why is is so cheap, the build quality is no where near as good, or the company is spending more than its making, probably both due to the company being $848 million in debt, because they make such great cars
    I went back to my post and edited it for clarification. I meant that the engine (not the car itself, although I guess that's true too) was lighter, more compact, more reliable, required less maintenance and was less expensive to manufacture. Ideally in a perfect world, I'd like to see Europeans designing the chassis and have an American V8 supplying the power. There have been a few famous cars designed that way and they've been some of the best cars in automotive history. The Ford GT40 and the Cobra come immediately to mind.

ReputationRep:
    i don't pretend to know everything about cars , my opinions are only opinions, i have only every driven 2 cars in my life and niether of them had more than 200bhp. i bases my opinions on a collection of other peoples opinions an what i can see for myself. as for the two engines you compare bhp they are almost the same and torque is better on the Z06, but the 0-60 time is only a second slower so the BMW is obviously using all its power, as you say the vette is also lighter, but as for reliability being better on the vette thats just crap, i actually started to think you knew what you were on about, but ask anyone who knows anything about cars and they will tell you the are are very few cars that are more reliable than the german cars, toyota, and mitshubishi yes but apart from that. and as for displacement any idiot can see that the bigger engine is capable of more producing more power. and i would say in traffic the M5 would be smoother, and better made, even if the fuel economy is crap, it is a large 4 door sedan. the Z06 is a good car for the money but why is is so cheap, the build quality is no where near as good, or the company is spending more than its making, probably both due to the company being $848 million in debt, because they make such great cars
    GM is in trouble because of the vehicles that they were building around their engines. They are getting better, but the perception of poor fit and finish is hard to overcome and I think that's what is killing them now. The British cars sold in the US are also struggling with the same problem. Jaguar is consistantly rated higher in JD Power surveys as being a higher quality car than Mercedes and BMW, but in people's minds, British-made still means a poor quality car. This is because of the garbage they made in the 1970s and 1980s. I'm not sure how many years of good showings in JD Power surveys it is going to take before people see a Jaguar as a quality car. It's a shame too because today's Jaguars are very good cars. I think it's a lot easier to improve quality than to fix the striking gaps between perceived and actual quality levels.

ReputationRep:
    It all went downhill for Jaguar after the original S-Type when the BL monster started to pull some strings...

BL has a lot to answer for, even today. *******ers

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Jaguar was never completely under BL controll
    Sir William Lyons retained controll of the company under BL. The final decisions always rested with him.

Infact, Jaguar made some really nice cars under BL.
    Series 3 E type, XJ6 Series 2 + 3 XJ12 S2 + 3

We have had several S2 XJ6's and they are lovely.

ReputationRep:
    BL are still *******ers.

ReputationRep:
    uhhuh... my 30 year old BL knacker can still cut it against modern tat.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, that was before they started producing tat.

like Rover 220 diesels

*waits in anticipation for frig* hehe

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.