Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to do some revision still but am I genius for finishing it in a month after starting from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    Well you need to put the 'genius' to the test and do some past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel)
    Well you need to put the 'genius' to the test and do some past papers
    Yeah, well, it's still quite the achievement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candymonster)
    Yeah, well, it's still quite the achievement
    That it is :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    was it the 9-1 spec?

ReputationRep:
    well done :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Studying in a month is one thing, having it stored in your long-term memory is another thing. I taught myself GCSE to A-Level Math in a couple months and I worked from the beginning of the book, right through to the end. I was getting every question correct and understanding it. A few months later I'd forgotten more than half of it. Whilst learning something fast is extremely handy, it's the quality of the work you put in rather than the quantity. When I learn a new set of math (physics student) I go through hundreds of questions to drill it in my head, and keep my memory fresh by revising every week for a couple months. I can honestly say there is barely any math I've taught myself up to now that I can't remember. The added benefit is that I'm also very fluid and speedy in my workings out. So you've got to ask yourself: do you feel you could enter an exam 2 minutes after reading my post and pass convincingly? If yes, then that's great. If no, then you'll get what I mean from this post. Revising is one thing as it's keeping it fresh in your memory. But knowing something that is permanently carved into your memory is another thing. But yet again that's me as because I'm studying Physics, I want to be fast and fluent so complex math doesn't hold me back and waste time.

Best of luck with your future studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnunakiMassacr)
    Studying in a month is one thing, having it stored in your long-term memory is another thing. I taught myself GCSE to A-Level Math in a couple months and I worked from the beginning of the book, right through to the end. I was getting every question correct and understanding it. A few months later I'd forgotten more than half of it. Whilst learning something fast is extremely handy, it's the quality of the work you put in rather than the quantity. When I learn a new set of math (physics student) I go through hundreds of questions to drill it in my head, and keep my memory fresh by revising every week for a couple months. I can honestly say there is barely any math I've taught myself up to now that I can't remember. The added benefit is that I'm also very fluid and speedy in my workings out. So you've got to ask yourself: do you feel you could enter an exam 2 minutes after reading my post and pass convincingly? If yes, then that's great. If no, then you'll get what I mean from this post. Revising is one thing as it's keeping it fresh in your memory. But knowing something that is permanently carved into your memory is another thing. But yet again that's me as because I'm studying Physics, I want to be fast and fluent so complex math doesn't hold me back and waste time.

Best of luck with your future studies
    Yeah, I get what you mean, about half of it is drilled into my memory. I try to solve as many questions as possible and go over what I have learned. And thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Mate I self studied maths in a week and got an A + self studied all my chemistry exams (3 units) the night before and got an A*

ReputationRep:
    It's only GCSE calm down

ReputationRep:
    A month? Is that it? Wow mate, if you didn't learn it in under a week you clearly have something wrong with you...

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me your secret... Not even joking, Maths kills me. What resources did you use? I'm using Khan Academy cos I'm poor and can't afford text books, but I need something that explains it in more depth to use alongside this, yknow? Also, did you sit your exam already? I'm at the point of trying to book my exam as an external candidate and they're asking me questions that I can't make sense of ahaha, so just thinking if you sat yours as an external candidate, maybe you could help me make sense of those questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrlttcrpntr)
    Please tell me your secret... Not even joking, Maths kills me. What resources did you use? I'm using Khan Academy cos I'm poor and can't afford text books, but I need something that explains it in more depth to use alongside this, yknow? Also, did you sit your exam already? I'm at the point of trying to book my exam as an external candidate and they're asking me questions that I can't make sense of ahaha, so just thinking if you sat yours as an external candidate, maybe you could help me make sense of those questions.
    what this guy did is ****ING EASY my revision guide itself is called pass gcse maths in four weeks it's a wholeprogramme full of exam tips past papers and examstyle questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elastic14)
    what this guy did is ****ING EASY my revision guide itself is called pass gcse maths in four weeks it's a whole programme full of exam tips past papers and exam style questions
    If it's the one I've found online, then it's £37 minimum, which I can't afford. Also, I need something a little more in depth that explains things in a pretty simple way, so I don't really want to spend £37, which I don't have, on something that I feel probably won't work for me. But thank you anyway, I'm sure it's helped a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    You want a cookie?

ReputationRep:
    How does that make you a genius? GCSE Maths is piss easy. I guess it means your hard working compared to most??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.