Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It seems that, like last year, some people are still getting anomalous unit results. Do you think that coursework units/orals are purposely being marked down? I ask this question because I have read of people getting a string of A's and then either an E or a U in one of the other units. What do you think, and do you know of anyone who seems to have been affected by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowei)
    It seems that, like last year, some people are still getting anomalous unit results. Do you think that coursework units/orals are purposely being marked down? I ask this question because I have read of people getting a string of A's and then either an E or a U in one of the other units. What do you think, and do you know of anyone who seems to have been affected by this?
    Yes, a young friend of mine got straight A's for Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry and a C for General Studies. She was told she got As for 2 of the papers and a U for the other one! Having said that, in her previous exams she only got an E for the social paper. Maybe someone on the marking board is seriously biased against her viewpoint???

Also, I remember when my kid bro (a straight A student) was in high school, he was failed on a paper in RE. When he had it re-marked he was given an A for one aspect and a fail for the other. Basically, the teacher didn't agree with his view so she failed him!!

Elisabeth=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabeth_rb)
    Yes, a young friend of mine got straight A's for Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry and a C for General Studies. She was told she got As for 2 of the papers and a U for the other one! Having said that, in her previous exams she only got an E for the social paper. Maybe someone on the marking board is seriously biased against her viewpoint???
    This happened to a lot of people I know from my college. In General Studies B, AQA, most people did pretty well... except on paper 4, when marks dropped to the low 20s and 30s for no particular reason. A friend of mine got 100% on papers 5 and 6, and then 25% on paper 4.

Definitely dodgy.

(Original post by rowei)
    I got As on all my History papers except one which was an E for no apparent reason. This happened to some of my friends too - I think they mark one paper way down in order to bring overall results down because the gov. says too many people are doing artificially well and unis are oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I got As on all my History papers except one which was an E for no apparent reason. This happened to some of my friends too - I think they mark one paper way down in order to bring overall results down because the gov. says too many people are doing artificially well and unis are oversubscribed.
    I think you're right. Like you, I got A's in all my German units, except for one, where I got an E. I was extremely disappointed with this because I felt I had done okay on the exam. I am now requesting a photocopy of my script to see why it was marked so low. Ironically, everyone else who took the same exam at my college got a low grade as well, so something funny seems to be happening.

(Original post by rowei)
    I think you're right. Like you, I got A's in all my German units, except for one, where I got an E. I was extremely disappointed with this because I felt I had done okay on the exam. I am now requesting a photocopy of my script to see why it was marked so low. Ironically, everyone else who took the same exam at my college got a low grade as well, so something funny seems to be happening.
    When I asked for my History paper back, they said they'd lost it. The whole system is grossly incompetant and unfair - the only reason they don't scrap edexcel is because it is the only board that deals with more obscure levels and subjects.

After my history exams this summer I felt quite confident that I had done well, I'd done loads of revision and memorised facts and statistics for the exam etc.

On results day at college before I got my results I was talking to people I knew who do history and I didn't meet one person who got higher than a C, most people got E's and D's but after the exams everyone was confident that they had done well.

I got my history result and it was a D. I sat 3 exams, for one I got an A, one a D and one a U so my overall grade was a D. Edexcel did history and my results seem dodgy, all my other subjects are AQA and I got 2A's and a B. On my exam I got a U on, I was 9 marks off getting even an E. I'm going to college to request a photocopy of my script then hopefully get it remarked. I wanted to do history at uni so this is really causing problems, I can do it next year but with a D its really going to bring my final A level grade down unless I resit it.

It does definitly seem dodgy, especially since its Edexcel, I really felt I had done well in all my history exams and now I've read this post I know I'm certainly not the only one this has happened to. I would accept that maybe its harder than I expected it to be or maybe my exam technique is all wrong but then how come I got an A on one exam??? I didn't change my exam technique between exams and I had worked really hard and revised well for all of them. I'm really anxious to see the photocopy of my answer paper.

ReputationRep:
    After my history exams this summer I felt quite confident that I had done well, I'd done loads of revision and memorised facts and statistics for the exam etc.

On results day at college before I got my results I was talking to people I knew who do history and I didn't meet one person who got higher than a C, most people got E's and D's but after the exams everyone was confident that they had done well.

I got my history result and it was a D. I sat 3 exams, for one I got an A, one a D and one a U so my overall grade was a D. Edexcel did history and my results seem dodgy, all my other subjects are AQA and I got 2A's and a B. On my exam I got a U on, I was 9 marks off getting even an E. I'm going to college to request a photocopy of my script then hopefully get it remarked. I wanted to do history at uni so this is really causing problems, I can do it next year but with a D its really going to bring my final A level grade down unless I resit it.

It does definitly seem dodgy, especially since its Edexcel, I really felt I had done well in all my history exams and now I've read this post I know I'm certainly not the only one this has happened to. I would accept that maybe its harder than I expected it to be or maybe my exam technique is all wrong but then how come I got an A on one exam??? I didn't change my exam technique between exams and I had worked really hard and revised well for all of them. I'm really anxious to see the photocopy of my answer paper.
    My German was with AQA, not Edexcel. On the majority of units, I did better than expected (91/105, 75/90, 95/105, 92/105 and 76/105) but on unit 5 (culture and literature paper), I only got 40/90. It turns out I only got 28/60 raw marks, but I am convinced I did better than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowei)
    My German was with AQA, not Edexcel. On the majority of units, I did better than expected (91/105, 75/90, 95/105, 92/105 and 76/105) but on unit 5 (culture and literature paper), I only got 40/90. It turns out I only got 28/60 raw marks, but I am convinced I did better than this.

iv got the same problem with biology....

Mod 1 : 74/105
    Mod 2 : 76/105
    Mod 4 : 72/90
    Mod 5 : 67/90
    Mod 6 : 79/90
    Mod 8 : 39/120

Im going to appeal for Unit 8. It was higher that i know. and it consits of a coursework and a exam unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowei)
    I got 4As for Economics, maths, busiess, french, and then an E for General, although, this grade was probably not that unnaccurate, as I did no work for general, and didn't even open the file for the whole year.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Well, I also did EdExcel History and got:

Hist One: 72/120 = C
    Hist Two: 67/90 = B
    Hist Three - C/W Assignment: 85/90 = A

So my overall mark was 224 = B, This was pretty much what I was expecting, I was also hoping that I could have done better on the C/W to pull me up, however with my poor performance on Hist 1, I could only get a B overall, unless I did better on the Hist 2/June Exam of course. I think so far EdExcel have been fair with their marking of the History papers. I have known from past experiences that you really don't know if you did well or poorly on the History exams. I remember I did GCSE History with OCR and my overall C/W grade was C/D, (didn't try on the C/W, I am very annoyed now of course lol), however when my results come back as a B overall, I was quite shocked, I really felt that I did poorly on the exams as well, however after enquiring for a bit, I found out that on my first paper, I got an A* and a A on my second,obtaining a high B overall. I think History is a funny subject to predict what you got lol, well I've always been wrong so far lol.

i did ocr french as and was predicted an a, but i got a b bcos of my speaking exam - i got as in the other skills but a borderline b/c in that one, so it pulled my grade down.
    i think this was bcos we had a really rubbish examiner though - he asked all short answer knowledge based qs rather then letting us show what french we knew, and would cut off longer answers in the middle.
    some of my friends got as in all their skills and u's in their speaking. the school appealed for those and i think most were changed, but bcos mine was aaab, they didnt enter it.

Ditto Computing AS, units 1,3 As
    unit 2 C!

= B overall!!

Also same for Biology and Physics
    All Edexcel!

The Unhappy One

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    i did ocr french as and was predicted an a, but i got a b bcos of my speaking exam - i got as in the other skills but a borderline b/c in that one, so it pulled my grade down.
    i think this was bcos we had a really rubbish examiner though - he asked all short answer knowledge based qs rather then letting us show what french we knew, and would cut off longer answers in the middle.
    some of my friends got as in all their skills and u's in their speaking. the school appealed for those and i think most were changed, but bcos mine was aaab, they didnt enter it.

That sounds well harsh. complain.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Well how about this then? Someone that I know got straight A's in her Spanish Modules and then an E for her listening paper, which is a bit strange considering that it's near enough her first language at home because her mum's Spanish!

Someone else I know missed out on her university because she got an 'X' for one of her modules in History, despite the fact that she had taken the exam in January(which was a B); it was just 'missed' off of her paper last week.

And then our Sociology group were really annoyed because the exam board marked our coursework really harshly; I got 56/60 but ended up getting a C when it was marked by the board, which I haven't got a problem with but it ensured a lot of people didn't get the marks they deserved.

rant over

Alivewoman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alivewoman)
    Well how about this then? Someone that I know got straight A's in her Spanish Modules and then an E for her listening paper, which is a bit strange considering that it's near enough her first language at home because her mum's Spanish!

Someone else I know missed out on her university because she got an 'X' for one of her modules in History, despite the fact that she had taken the exam in January(which was a B); it was just 'missed' off of her paper last week.

And then our Sociology group were really annoyed because the exam board marked our coursework really harshly; I got 56/60 but ended up getting a C when it was marked by the board, which I haven't got a problem with but it ensured a lot of people didn't get the marks they deserved.

rant over

Alivewoman
    Isn't the system just perfect.

Phil

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.