Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm begining a film and television course, it involves film production, graphic media, animation, special affects and audio production. I need help finding a laptop that I can do all this with and not break the bank, as cheap as possible. Can someone help please?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MaxiHughes101)
    I'm begining a film and television course, it involves film production, graphic media, animation, special affects and audio production. I need help finding a laptop that I can do all this with and not break the bank, as cheap as possible. Can someone help please?
    Are you sure you need a laptop that can do all that? You could get away with something just to do word processing and stuff on, unless you're going to get all the softwares too (which are expensive). I'm a second year TV and Film student and I've only ever used mine for either personal projects, because I have the software I need to do those, and spreadsheets/word documents. I'd double check with the course leader to see if you definitely need something like that. All we had to get was an external hard drive, an SD card, and some headphones.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Are you sure you need a laptop that can do all that? You could get away with something just to do word processing and stuff on, unless you're going to get all the softwares too (which are expensive). I'm a second year TV and Film student and I've only ever used mine for either personal projects, because I have the software I need to do those, and spreadsheets/word documents. I'd double check with the course leader to see if you definitely need something like that. All we had to get was an external hard drive, an SD card, and some headphones.
    This ^^^

On top of all that "cheap" and "media creation" don't go well together. Factor in laptop and you're looking at an expensive device to do things properly. Plus all the software you'd want. You won't find a cheap laptop and would be looking at well around £700-800 as a minimum.

If you do need lots of power then get a desktop. Your price to performance ratio will be much better. For £700 you could build a decent desktop or get a mediocre laptop. But either ways that's as cheap as it gets.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.