Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get completely shafted on the room deposit side of things?

I've had £60 knocked off my deposit, about £30 of which is legitimate. Amongst the non-legitimate things they've billed me for are that my furniture needed re-arranging, something I find rather curious as it hadn't been moved at all during my stay, and two separate billings for missing data cables, which is somewhat strange, since I had only one. As for vacuuming the floor, I reckon I'd done an OK job of it before I left. Apparently not.

How's it gone with everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    i forgot to fill out ma form woops, so i get none

ReputationRep:
    How did you find all this out? Do they write to you at home? I was just wondering this morning how much deposit I would get back and when, and how I would get to know.
    I expect to be shafted too as one of my kitchen cupboard doors fell off and they left it unrepaired for a term and a half. Don't see why I should have to pay for their rubbishy maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter today telling me.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the college. I'm expecting Cartmel to be ridiculously stingy this year because they were quite lenient last year...and they're being especially money-thieving this year.

It doesn't help that they painted the kitchens with POSTER PAINT so if you ever got a mark on the wall and tried to rinse it off with WATER, the paint came off. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

If more than £20 comes out of mine, I want a full invoice of parts, labour, everything. I can't believe they can charge us £10 for a washing up bowl. Oh yes, the costs section of the resident's handbook is quite an amusing read.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a full refund on my deposit and a further £500 with no explanation notes. I'm certainly not complaining though.

ReputationRep:
    No letter yet

ReputationRep:
    I'm in furness, and I can't see them needing money so desperately that they'd be actively seeking to trim money off.

But fifteen quid to rearrange the furniture when that's something I haven't even done myself. - What a joke!

ReputationRep:
    I lost about £18 off mine which i am suprised at, i looked at all the stuff id been billed for and fair enough i can see why i got it taken off. I was expecting to lose alot more seen as we had been threatened all year that we were going to be charged for broken signs and plug sockets on the floors above. I would have been royally pissed off if we had coz im on the bottom floor so being charged for floors above is a tad unfair. But hey alls well that ends well

ReputationRep:
    i'd totally forgot about getting deposits back! i've just checked and i've not had mine back yet.. i hope i get a list of what i get charged for.

ReputationRep:
    I was really lucky with mine. I'm in Lonsdale.

Out of £160 I got £151.90 back.

£2.50 taken off me for excess cleaning in the kitchen, which is fair enough cos I didn't touch it. None of it was my mess.

£1.88 for excess rubbish.

£2.00 for the walls in the kitchen

£1.25 for kitchen window graffiti :confused:

£0.48 for some break glass or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LubyLoo)
    £2.50 taken off me for excess cleaning in the kitchen, which is fair enough cos I didn't touch it. None of it was my mess.
    You need to be careful about that. There's shared responsibility for shared spaces - if one person is causing most mess, you need to tackle them, or you'll be charged too.
    It's not just lost deposit, either - Colleges can issue fines for particularly bad kitchens.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know when money will be paid back to us?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, £160 has just gone into my account and I can't think of anything else it could be except deposit!!

Seems my big argument with the residence officer paid off

ReputationRep:
    I had £20 taken of mine. No idea what for.

Apparently you can get your money back for some things if you complain enough (and obviously you'd need to prove you shouldn't have been charged).

ReputationRep:
    I've had £4.50 taken off to replace an iron and ironing board that we never even had and told them we never had :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I got just over £30 taken off...

£10 for some old blue-tac left by the person last year, which I told them about
    £7 Kitchen chair replacement (Didn't even know one was missing)
    £4.50 Replace ironing board
    And loads of £2.50 ish charges for flatmates that had damaged their cupboards throughout the year :mad:

Ah well, I suppose it's only £30!

ReputationRep:
    I only got £85 back of mine....!

ReputationRep:
    Have any Pendle students got theirs back?

ReputationRep:
    Got mine back, £109 back from £160

£35 for my door lock, which has been fault all year, but becuase i moved rooms i didn't get a form for my new room, so i couldn't right it down.
    Then loads of other small things, mostly from the kitchen that my flat mates did! But I don't mind, takes me back into positive numbers in my bank account

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.