Job References/Referees Watch

work89
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi

I am eighteen and desperately looking for employment. Preferably with prospects. Although this month/year seems to be awful to find jobs

I have had no prior jobs (except work experience for two weeks) two years ago...Although I know the company name I have no idea of any number or contact name

Anyway when I am looking at application forms they always ask two references. Obviously I am going to put down my secondary school and main telephone number....

What do I do for the second? These major companies are supposed to be equal opportunities organiztions. Yet it is almost impossible to be considered.
Vohamanah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Try and find out the contact details for the W/E if it is very relevant to the jobs you are applying for. Check Yellow Pages, Google etc. If you don't know who you need to ask for one, phone them up. It is only polite to ask for a reference before they are contacted.

However, since it was 2 weeks, 2 years ago they probably won't even know who you are. In which case put down a college tutor who knows who you are, and possibly someone else you know as a character reference. Really depends what work you are looking for. If it is relatively informal a character reference should be fine.

But since you say you are looking for a job 'with prospects' that might indicate that you need something more substantial. Can you take a break from the job search for some voluntary work or something? Looks good on the CV, and provides you with another reference
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
one referee: a teacher at your old school. just give the school's address and main telephone number like you said.

second referee: HR department and address of where you did your work experience.and a phone number. if you can remember the name of a senior staff you were working with,then pop it in.
work89
Well Thank You... I am looking for retail work to be honest.... Really would love to work at Starbucks or Marks and Spencers.

The work experience over two and a half years ago was a construction firm for two weeks.... I just cannot remember any of their names

Also my school has broken up for holidays
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you know the name of the company, I'm sure Google could sort you out with contact details.
work89
I guess but I just thought that was really really weird Kate

They won't remember me I guess I could look them up
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It doesn't matter. To be honest, it's unlikely they'll actually be contacted. You just need to show you have references half the time. I still have my work experience as references on my CV - work experience was back in Year 10, and I've finished college now!
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As pinkpinkuk says, maybe try and do some voluntary work to get another reference? Charity shops are *always* looking for help and if you want to go into retail it'd be perfect really as that way you can get a referee *and* some sort of relevant experience. Alternatively, do you have any family friends or friends of your parents who might be willing to give you a reference? Finally, you could always use a couple of different teachers (e.g. your head of year and maybe a form teacher or something like that, or a subject teacher you got on well with). Companies will understand that you are young and don't have any significant work experience so don't worry *too* much about it.
Jenn xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads