Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm very interested doing a postgraduate degree. I really want the degree to suit my interests and my main interest is in the spread of communism in Asia, whether it be China, South-East Asia and it would be great if it included North Korea. Are there any taught or research degrees that have a lot of this in the course structure? I don't mind courses that include other areas such as general Asian studies and International relations.

Struggling to find much at the moment.

Thanks for your help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have you done some research of your own and what have you found? All info about courses should be on the uni websites.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by IceCool)
    Hello,

I'm very interested doing a postgraduate degree. I really want the degree to suit my interests and my main interest is in the spread of communism in Asia, whether it be China, South-East Asia and it would be great if it included North Korea. Are there any taught or research degrees that have a lot of this in the course structure? I don't mind courses that include other areas such as general Asian studies and International relations.

Struggling to find much at the moment.

Thanks for your help!
    You'd have to have more depth to your research area. Describing the spread of Communism is a single class and most IR undergrad degrees will have that class in the first term.

Communism is rarely going to be more than a module in a taught course.

For a research degree, then you need to provide a research proposal and it would need to be much more specific that 'the spread of communism in Asia" where there are already hundreds of books.

ReputationRep:
    SOAS in London has an M.A. in Chinese Studies which has elective modules on chinese politics.

I would personally go for Nottingham in Ningbo, China which has an M.A. in China in International Relations and World History

A year in China really seeing what communism is actually about and visiting South Korea too!

Flights are like £300 to China from London!

ReputationRep:
    Look at courses at

SOAS, Uni of London - https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/subject/

Oxford - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/gradu...ropean-studies and http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/gradu...litical-theory

Kent - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postg...social-thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    SOAS in London has an M.A. in Chinese Studies which has elective modules on chinese politics.

I would personally go for Nottingham in Ningbo, China which has an M.A. in China in International Relations and World History

A year in China really seeing what communism is actually about and visiting South Korea too!

Flights are like £300 to China from London!

That sounds amazing, thank you!

Just found this course in Nottingham as well:
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/...tudies-ma.aspx

One semester in China which would seem less daunting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You'd have to have more depth to your research area. Describing the spread of Communism is a single class and most IR undergrad degrees will have that class in the first term.

Communism is rarely going to be more than a module in a taught course.

For a research degree, then you need to provide a research proposal and it would need to be much more specific that 'the spread of communism in Asia" where there are already hundreds of books.

If in a taught course there was a module on the spread of communism, would i have the option of completing a dissertation on a specific area of communism in Asia?
    For example this course http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/...tudies-ma.aspx

I understand that it would need to be much more specific. But are there research degrees out there that would allow be to do a specific topic of communism in Asia? Or is it just too general a subject.

Thanks for the reply!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by IceCool)
    If in a taught course there was a module on the spread of communism, would i have the option of completing a dissertation on a specific area of communism in Asia?
    For example this course http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/...tudies-ma.aspx

I understand that it would need to be much more specific. But are there research degrees out there that would allow be to do a specific topic of communism in Asia? Or is it just too general a subject.

Thanks for the reply!
    I very much doubt there would be a whole module on the spread of communism, unless you found a particular academic whose research was on that area, and they were delivering a course.

It's too general a subject for a successful research proposal as you currently frame it. You would need to narrow it down to something like "The influence of nationalised print media in the spread of Communism, 19xx-yy" or "The relationship between oral history and the spread of Communism in the zzzz communities of Laos".

It needs to be a topic that can be completed in a specific time period (actually only a few months), with resources that you have access to (ie you'd probably have to travel out there, do you have the money? you'd have to speak the required languages) and you need to be able to put together a credible proposal that justifies all that, why the question is worthy of answering from an academic perspective, methodology, resources, timeline etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.