Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to start a levels and got a 15.5 hour job at waitrose. When I had the interview I wasn't aware what the job I was going to get would be. So when I got offered the job it simply said 'food services' and I didn't know what that would contain as never have worked in a supermarket. I got the meat and fish counter on two after schools and bakery on one of the weekend days. I had my first shift on the meat and fish and I truely despise it, I hate it so much that I don't want to go back. It's just not my thing and I don't know what to do! I can't ask to go on deli or something as they needed me to replace the person leaving. I don't really want to leave a job I just started as it looks bad on the CV, on me and it's just awkward to hand a notice in one week after you start.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lucysmith1)
    I'm just about to start a levels and got a 15.5 hour job at waitrose. When I had the interview I wasn't aware what the job I was going to get would be. So when I got offered the job it simply said 'food services' and I didn't know what that would contain as never have worked in a supermarket. I got the meat and fish counter on two after schools and bakery on one of the weekend days. I had my first shift on the meat and fish and I truely despise it, I hate it so much that I don't want to go back. It's just not my thing and I don't know what to do! I can't ask to go on deli or something as they needed me to replace the person leaving. I don't really want to leave a job I just started as it looks bad on the CV, on me and it's just awkward to hand a notice in one week after you start.
    You could try working a little longer and seeing if it grows on you. You might get friendly with your colleagues and find things get a bit easier. Either that, or you could keep applying for jobs and just work there until you get another. It would be a bit awkward to leave so soon, but it happens sometimes. You could always just explain that the job isn't for you and that you'd like to focus on finding something that meets your interests a little more

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.