Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    like the RSPCA?
    http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sate...=1024473872450
    They use terror guerrillas to extract money from poor passers by. Grr and damn them! Actually makes me quite angry when you see how they tend to target the more elderly…

ReputationRep:
    Though the tactics used by some animal-rights activists is wrong - threats made to the lives of scientists and even builders!

That is terrorist tactics.

ReputationRep:
    bloody chuggers :mad:

Somehow I doubt that I was funding a terrorist group when I paid £70 for my two cats to the RSPCA though
    So you didn't buy two trained killing machines

ReputationRep:
    Ruby was a hunter (she took down a couple of pigeons :cool: bloody flying rats)

Panther on the other hand is the most incompetant hunter I've ever come across...in a yr he's managed to catch 2 mice (one of them twice :rolleyes: ) and a frog (which may well have jumped into his mouth while he was drinking out of our pond) oh and he managed to hoik one of the fish out of the pond but then lost interest and left it on the patio until I got up and put it back in the pond. Current death rate = 0.
    My cat's death count is (not including flies) 5.

Three frogs, two birds.

Not bad sine he's not allowed out of the house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    I've just got home after being away and found that there is a lot in the news about this new animal testing plant at oxford university. I was thinking of applying there but wouldn't be happy somewhere where the university was cruel to animals....is it the same at most universities or are there some that don't test on animals? I hadn't even thought of it until i saw stories in the papers! x
    I didn't know they did animal testing there. That is wrong.

ReputationRep:

Panther on the other hand is the most incompetant hunter I've ever come across...in a yr he's managed to catch 2 mice (one of them twice :rolleyes: ) and a frog (which may well have jumped into his mouth while he was drinking out of our pond) oh and he managed to hoik one of the fish out of the pond but then lost interest and left it on the patio until I got up and put it back in the pond. Current death rate = 0.

Ruby is a gangsta. My cat kills birds as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I didn't know they did animal testing there. That is wrong.
    As PQ said, thy do animal testing at most universities, paticularly the ones at the foreront of research.

ReputationRep:

any chance of a refund?

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather see your whole family die from some sort of plague than animals be used to test drugs on?

Testing cosmetics on animals is wrong yeah cos they're not needed for our survival, but testing drugs on animals are a nessecary evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    My cat's death count is (not including flies) 5.

Three frogs, two birds.

Not bad sine he's not allowed out of the house
    My friends cat leaves deaded frogs in her bed for her. Not nice after a heavy night out and you don't notice until the next morning!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    My friends cat leaves deaded frogs in her bed for her. Not nice after a heavy night out and you don't notice until the next morning!!!
    He brought a deas bird in on my mum's birthday.

I think it was a present

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    I've just got home after being away and found that there is a lot in the news about this new animal testing plant at oxford university. I was thinking of applying there but wouldn't be happy somewhere where the university was cruel to animals....is it the same at most universities or are there some that don't test on animals? I hadn't even thought of it until i saw stories in the papers! x
    i don't agree with animal testing for cosmetic purposes, but animal testing for medical purposes is necessary to save lives. the laws regarding testing have changed massively in the last 40, 50 years, and there is no a law that says no animal may suffer. this means that if testing is taking place, as soon as it becomes apparent that an animal is in distress the testing must cease.

neurological tests can be performed on rodents such as rats - their genome and brain set up is surprisingly similar to humans. obviously it's not identical but surely it's preferable to test on a rat than a human - nothing is going to be perfect first time. but if in the long run a cure for alzheimer's is discovered, i am for it.

i am going to be working for a pharmaceutical company for the next year, and they do test on animals. when i was offered the position i had to think long and hard about whether i could work in that envirnoment. i don't deny it will be hard, but i'm not prepared to stop taking medication either, because it has been tested on animals. the company i'll be working for developed the drugs you take when you have chemo - they have saved many lives.

the main thing i can't understand is how protestors against animal testing think they can justify killing a human being to save an animal. it's so hypocritical - i was reading in the paper last week about an animal rights group who threw acid in the eyes of a scientist when he was with his children...that makes me sick.

anyway, as people above have said, most universities with labs will be conducting experiments on animals, so you will need to do a lot of research and find out exactly what is going on before you pass judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Even Universities that don't have animal-testing labs on site will send away cells/viruses etc. to places where they are injected and their blood can be extracted etc.

And I find it hard to believe that you think it's much fairer to test/experiment on criminals but not animals. You just said your cat loves to kill other animals (there are nowhere near enough convicted murderers to sustain the number of experiments required anyway) - is it also fit to be experimented upon now?

I'm sure when your cat catches a bird and toys with it for hours (as mine do) before killing it, the torture is longer and scarier than most scientific experiments.

I think that for a lot of biological sciences, animal testing is essential, but there should be boundaries for the likes of cosmetic testing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with babyballerina completely on this. If I saw an animal and a person in great pain, I'd save the person first.
    And for those who say animal testing is ineffective: why on earth would people do it then? They spend large amounts of money on research, and academics . If it doesn't give some sort of result, or something that can be analysed, then they woulddn't bother!

ReputationRep:
    What I find most alarming about these cases is not the way in which the animals are treated but the way in which the scientists are treated by extremist animal protesters eg. their houses being firebombed...

(Original post by Pegasus)
    What I find most alarming about these cases is not the way in which the animals are treated but the way in which the scientists are treated by extremist animal protesters eg. their houses being firebombed...
    Whilst I wouldn't participate in such conduct, I can, nevertheless, understand and sympathise with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't condone violence by animal rights groups. But I don't give a damn if some director gets pelted with eggs, or paint or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I don't condone violence by animal rights groups. But I don't give a damn if some director gets pelted with eggs, or paint or something.
    True but then there is a big difference between that and firbombing someones house/ attacking them and in some cases their family.

I think what people should remember is that animal experimentation isn't just for fun (that is just a by product...), its to push forward the boundaries of science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    True but then there is a big difference between that and firbombing someones house/ attacking them and in some cases their family.

I think what people should remember is that animal experimentation isn't just for fun (that is just a by product...), its to push forward the boundaries of science.
    I think people are aware of it. But the imagery is horrid. It's just horrid. It's a really dark side of humanity, to think of intelligent, sensitive primates being tortured in the name of progress.

ReputationRep:
    these bunnyfacists need lining up and shooting, they're not interested in the welfare of the animals, if they were they'd not of realeased hunderds of minx into the enviroment decimating the bird populating. They're just social rejects who latch onto this stuff cos they can be violent and hide behind a so called "Just" cause

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.